Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is my first post here, and I figured I would ask for some opinions. I just passed my hunter ed class and I am looking forwa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my first post here, and I figured I would ask for some opinions. I just passed my hunter ed class and I am looking forwa

This is my first post here, and I figured I would ask for some opinions. I just passed my hunter ed class and I am looking forward to going in the fall, I will be hunting deer mostly then but after that probably a lot of small game. I live in NY and I am getting a .22 pellet gun for that but I am stuck on what to get for deer. A local shop has a Savage Model 340 and a 340 deluxe both used and in 30-30, the non deluxe is $265 and has a (blonde stock? if someone could explain for me it would be helpful) and the deluxe is $450 with a side mount and Bushnell sportview (spotting scope?). I was also looking at a Remington 870 20 gauge field and slug barrel combo for $500 new. Any help would be great

I would say the 870 combo would be more useful but i would get a 12ga.

Comment

The Savage Model 340 is an economy grade bolt action rifle that will get you started without the additional cost of a scope.
      I had one many years ago, also with a blonde (maple) stock, when it was sold as the Stevens Model 325. It had a butterknife handle.
      I soon traded up for a Marlin Model 336, out of preference for a lever gun, but later returned to the bolt action with a Winchester Model 70.

Comment

I've got a 340V in .225 Winchester, did have a 340 carbine in .30-30 that I gave to my son. It's not an overly strong action so if you try to handload for it be sure to stay on the mild side. It's reasonably accurate at woods ranges and should be a good starting point for you. Think Remington 150 grain Corelokts as a good starting point for white tails. Good hunting, and welcome.

Comment

@007 Thanks no one I know reloads so that would'nt be a problem. @jhjimbo I have carefully consisdered the 20 vs 12 gauge, I have a lot more expierence with a 20 but I do shoot 12s on occasion. I forgot to mention I will be shooting 200 yards max but most of the time it will probably be under 100

Comment

If your intentions are to shoot out to 200 yards, then that eliminates the 20 ga. from your list as they ballistically just wont do that with ethical accuracy or energy. 200 yards is also on the upper end of a 30-30's ballistic capabilities, with new and modern factory ammo you may be able to stretch 250 yards out of a 30-30, but I won't be doing it any time soon. There are a lot of great calibers out there, the 30-30 has been a very successful deer cartridge, but also doesn't have the ballistics of many calibers that are similarly priced. If you're interested in a few other calibers I'm sure the guys could point you in the right direction.

Comment

Not sure where you are hunting but I'd suggest you not be constrained by the inventory in a local gun store or pawn shop. Take a look at sites like gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com for used guns. If you are hunting out to 200 yards, you will want a good accurate rifle. I'd suggest a 25-06 as a great starter rifle with a great blend of power, accuracy and light recoil, yet a rifle you can enjoy shooting for a lifetime. You will find high quality Howa 1500 or Rem 700 rifles for around $400 or less. Get a $200 Vortex Diamondback 2-7x40 or 3-9x40 scope and you will be set with one of the best deer hunting rigs available.

Comment

@DakotaMan I will be hunting most the time in thicker woods, thats why I said most of the time under 100 yards. How does GunBroker work? Just have it sent to a dealer?

Comment

Check regulations where you live some parts of NY are shotgun only I think. If rifles are allowed then I like a 243. Shoot a few different calibers if you can. I personally think a good trigger is very important for accuracy and the newer low end bolt actions have them. I started out on a 30-30 but it was heavy and less accurate than whats out there now.

Comment

I have shot a few different rifles. .300 Savage, 7.62x54, .270, .223. Never have shot a 25-06 or .243 I can use rifles where I am at

Comment

That .300 savage is a heck of a deer rifle in my lowly opinion, as is the .270 you've shot. A 25-06, although I have had very little interaction with them, is ballistically very good and a desired caliber by some great deer hunters. The 30-06 is another famous choice as are the .280's and .308's.

Comment

@Pray-Hunt-Work, the .270 is my uncle's rifle of choice for deer he used to use his grandfather's .300 Savage. I have thought about a Rossi Wizard single shot anyone have an opinion on this?

Comment

I wouldn't spring for a Rossi, although they may be better than I give credit. A win model 70, a rem model 700, browning A or X bolt, A newer savage or ruger, Which the other boys may give model names to. An old savage model 99' in good condition, a marlin model 336, a tikka T3, just to name a few are all great guns, some better than others though. Do some research on those guns and you should find a real good one.

Comment

I found a Mossberg Trophy Hunter combo with a 3-9x40 for $350 new and it's in assorted calibers such as .270, .30-06, .308 etc. I would give my uncle an offer for his Model '99 but being it was his grandfather's I won't

Comment

I typically recommend a low recoil rifle for young hunters. That is why the 25-06 is tops for me. I actually had a childhood friend that quit deer hunting for life at the age of 14 when his dad made him shoot a 30-06. He hated the recoil and that cartridge is borderline overkill for deer.

The 30-06 is a very versatile cartridge and can be used for anything on our continent. However it can be miserable for a young hunter to practice with. Good cartridges to start with are the 25-06, .308, and 7mm-08. The short cartridges have plenty of power for timber deer hunting and are pretty easy to shoot. Their short action rifles often lend themselves real well to stomping through thick brush. The 25-06 is my personal favorite because of the very light recoil. It performs similar to a .270 in the woods with significantly less recoil. You just have to use the 120g bullets if brush is thick (I use 100g for most deer hunting though).

If you go for the Trophy hunter, I think you might be happiest with the .308 however they are all great cartridges. The .308 has relatively light recoil. Many consider the .270 to have very sharp recoil and the 30-06 may knock fillings out of your teeth unless you weigh over 150 pounds. If you reload, you can make all of them behave just fine but over-the-shelf hunting ammo is typically hot for .270s and 30-06s.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad