Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last month I got to talking to the fishing boat captain about bow hunting during our outing. Turns out he does a lot of deer hun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last month I got to talking to the fishing boat captain about bow hunting during our outing. Turns out he does a lot of deer hun

Last month I got to talking to the fishing boat captain about bow hunting during our outing. Turns out he does a lot of deer hunting in Georgia (we were in Florida at the time). We got to talking about the hunting in our respective areas, mine being the midwest and his being the south. It was interesting to here what deer hunting is like in other areas. Sounds like the deer hunting in GA is excellent. I have to say I was surprised to hear that. You never hear about great deer hunting in the south, its always Iowa, Illinois and Kansas. This left me thinking about sleeper deer states. Who here deer hunts in the south? Whats the deer hunting really like? Who thinks they live in a sleeper state?

I didn't hunt, but did shed hunt and I'd say Louisiana has some surprisingly quality deer. I figured the deer would be much like the tiny deer I'd seen in Florida, but it wasn't the case. I think southern Louisiana has some smaller deer but north of Baton Rouge they can grow really nice.

Comment

I didn't hunt, but did shed hunt and I'd say Louisiana has some surprisingly quality deer. I figured the deer would be much like the tiny deer I'd seen in Florida, but it wasn't the case. I think southern Louisiana has some smaller deer but north of Baton Rouge they can grow really nice.

Comment

Deer hunting in Georgia is very good. I've taken 25-30 deer there during my Army career. The thing about the Mid-west is the bucks are bigger. You have a better chance of seeing a Booner out here. BTW Western Kentucky might be a sleeper. Some really nice bucks have come from there in recent years. Including a nice 11 pointer my oldest brother shot last Fall that is his very best all time by far. Click my username and check some of the photos.

Comment

Don't believe anyone who tells you there is good deer hunting in GA. All of our bucks are spikes and forkies and few and far between. Not worth your time. Forget you ever heard anything about deer hunting here.

Comment

Its not uncommon to Down a 10Pt Buck in the 220#Range of the Fl/Ga border,with out an out of state Lic.$288.00.
            North Fl,could very well be a sleeper<Wink><wink> State!
            There's a Mineral line that Starts in N.E Ga.to N.C Fl.

Comment

While we don't have big bruisers here (GA.) we do have a large amount of deer, great place if you hunt for meat. Don't even try here if you are a trophy hunter!

Comment

I have hunted in Georgia, and found the deer to be about average. I once saw a large assortment of bucks laid out on the ground outside of a processing plant that were taken on opening day, and almost all were spikes.
                But that is probably typical in most states.

Comment

Ohio is coming on strong, both in size and numbers.

Comment

Beekeeper, although your words are tainted, your motive is pure... I'll give you that one. And good luck with it.

Comment

Maine's deer Population is down due to a few hard winters and high coyote numbers. The property that I mainly hunt is 240 acres but surround by a few thousand acres of land. With 90 some odd percent of the state forest it can be hard to locate the big bucks in the big woods, but they are in there. There are a few 160" deer where I hunt, but to put one on the table is no small feat. A 120-130" deer is considered a nice one, but Ive pull two 130" 8 pointers out in 16 years of hunting there, which gives promise to be a grandaddy 12 point or larger. Mainers have always classified their deer by body weight, calling a 200 pounder a trophy. Within the next several years and some good P.R. I would like to see antler size become the standard instead.

Comment

Ga hunting is terrible, I would never hunt there ever. No big deer. No does. No good deer numbers. Nothin. You should just leave. We do actually have great deer numbers and some very large deer, but it just depends. Some counties may have bigger deer than others, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I believe there is no such thing as a "sleeper state" because all it takes to produce good deer hunting is having a good number of hunters in an area on a similar path. By this, I mean the following...big deer are a product of age, nutrition, and genetics. You cannot control genetics, but you can provide nutrition through habitat modification, and you can allow a deer to age by not shooting it when it's young...pretty simple concepts. To have a lot of deer, you need to provide a lot of food to support those deer. So really, all you need to have is a bunch of hunters in the same general area that agree to not shoot small bucks, and are willing to modify the habitat to support more deer.

Hunters in the south and mid-west have been willing to do that in the recent past and have been reaping the benefits of some excellent deer hunting. North country hunters, on the other hand, are about 20 years behind the rest of the nation when it comes to managing deer. QDM is just starting to make progress in northern states, but it has been an incredibly slow process.

Comment

Ga hunter - you forgot to mention that there are coyotes and bobcats everywhere!

Comment

I moved into the south from South Dakota and can at least give you one person's perspective on it, for what it is worth. Southern deer hunting is very different than where I grew up.

In the midwest, deer stayed in the corn and bean fields if they could. There is typically so much open space that you could stand beside a tree and watch deer move around within a mile or so all day. You can drive around on the prairie where deer are still feeding out in the open early in the morning and in the evenings. It is common to be able to see most of the deer within 10 miles of your location until they lay down to catch a nap. Hunting often consists of planning how to get within a few hundred yards of them before being detected. There are numerous small timbers and it is common for hunters to stomp through the timbers chasing deer out to blockers. Archery hunting is done from treestands but they are placed on trails so heavily worn, it looks like they were plowed. Most deer there follow the exact same trails a LOT. A given trail may support more than a hundred deer. At least half the deer shot are on a full run and if you can't hit them predictably, you are a vegetarian; especially after the first few days of the season. If you hunt a while, you will see deer that are too big for one man to drag.

In the south, our timbers are never ending; often with NO meadows or clearings for as much as 20-40 miles. The trees are much taller and form a canopy over mid-sized trees and shrubs. Ground cover is so thick in most places, you won't be able to see deer that are within 25-50 yards of you. Hunters typically hunt from tree stands (even with rifles); working to lure deer close with scents and sounds. Most southern hunters seem to consider it unethical to shoot a running deer and they would frown on walking around in a timber because it alerts the deer to our presence, ruining our chances of getting so close. The deer are small in most areas although there are some nice deer, especially in the southern areas of our state where farming makes conditions a little more like Iowa. We make up for size in quantity though, with limits of 15 or more deer common. I've seen guys drag two deer out at a time but every once in while I see a big deer that reminds me of Iowa. There are few often-used trails in the forests although they do exist. Most trails seem to support a half dozen deer or fewer. I've never seen herds of 25-100 or more deer moving through the timber together as I've seen in the Dakotas. Little racks are common in Georgia... I don't know about other states. I suspect Iowa bucks are often born with larger antlers than some 7 year Georgia bucks . The first buck I saw in Georgia was a pretty nice buck; I thought he had cancer or something though because his rack was about the size of my two hands held together. This seems to be pretty common in the Piedmont areas of northern Georgia. Not so much as you trave south. It is pretty rare to see a deer over 200 pounds but there are some. Especially in the metro areas where hunting is forbidden and the bucks live in a virtual salad bowl with no preditors. Most of the biggest deer taken in our state fall to archers within the city limits of the Atlanta metro area.

As in every state, conditions vary as you move around the state but I hope I'vee been able to give at least one person's perspective on the differences. Both areas offer wonderful hunting and beautiful deer but they are truely different (and that is a good thing).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad