Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once you shoot a deer, how do you load into your vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy24
    replied
    first thing is there are so many new technology rich vehicles available that can help you out have a look here.http://www.slideshare.net/dreamcarautorepair/porsche-cayenne-s-e-hybridthe-silence-can-be-deceiving

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    I drive a Ford Excursion right now and it's not easy to get a big bodied buck into the back. So I tie the deer to my trailer hitch, find a drop off, get the buck on top of the drop off, and get the back of the vehicle even with the hill (a good sized drop is required). When you get there I grab him and it's easy then to do, so I just drag him into the back.

Leave a comment:

• fng
    replied
    Its really not that hard. I've hung a 300 pound buck by myself, and I dragged MY 260 pounder about 2 kilometers to the road. I'm kind of a big lad so if the deer is lighter than me, I can generally throw it around a little. That said, one of the easiest ways to get it in the back of a truck is to put its head and forelegs onto the tailgate, pick up his arse and PUSH.

That said, hit the gym. Having an extra 20 pounds of muscle helps, especially if you're in an area with big deer

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I wheel the deer or bear out of the woods with the deer cart. Then we made a wooden ramp and take the cart right up tailgate into the truck bed. We untie the bear so the state can weigh him at the check-in station. Very simple and works like a charm.

Leave a comment:

• jdwood
    replied
    Well the one deer I've loaded, I dragged the deer out using an ice-fishing sled with (probably any short plastic sit in toboggan would do). Then just dragged it up an atv ramp into the back of the truck. You could easily replace the atv ramp for a couple 2x4's or 6's and it would be a cheap way to get your deer loaded up.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    I usually have someone there to help me load it, but i am still realtively young and when I need to I can throw it in the back of the forester by my self.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    ATV all the way.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I use my 4-wheeler with a Drag Bag to camp, with lots of camp members are more then willing to help load the Deer or Hog in to our New Camp Cooler.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Usually drag the deer or elk back to camp on a sled drag made from a piece of conveyor belt behind the 4-wheeler and then use a hoist to put it in the air and back the truck under it. Otherwise lift with strong backs. Also have used the high bank side of a road or steep hillside to back the truck to and keep a 3' x 6' piece of 5/8 plywood in the bed of the truck for use as a ramp.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    depends...when my dads truck is available and i take that hunting its really simple. im a decently strong individual, so if i have a truck bed i usually dont have any problem muscling a deer into the bed.

now the real issue is when i have to take my jeep. the back window (i have a soft top) does not unzip so that takes a rear entry out of the equation. i have to go into the passenger door, move the passenger seat forward, climb into the back of the jeep, and finagle the SOB into the back. this is all while trying to keep a majority of the blood on the plastic i lay in the back. its pure muscle power getting him in their.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    It used to be brute force and sheer ignorance but nowadays it's a Kabota tractor and sheer ignorance...

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    I am lazy, I got a loader tractor. I drag a deer to the edge of the woods or field, then drive the tractor out and lower the bucket, slide the deer in and drive the truck once at the truck i simply tilt the bucket so the deer falls into the bed. The hardest part is climbing into the tractor.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    That's "tie the legs of the game animal together".

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    I can attach a block and tackle to the roll bar on my Jeep Wrangler, tie the legs together and hoist 'em in the back (no back seat or carpet, and I have a tarp to control any blood---VERY necessary.)

Leave a comment:

• allegnmtn
    replied
    I'm not a big guy...155lbs. A number of bucks I've shot have come close to out weighing or outweighed me. I keep two 2" x 6"s 8 feet long boards in the back of the truck and drag the deer up. It makes it simple...the other option for someone who isn't 6'4" 250lbs but is pretty fit is to grab them from behind, under the front shoulders and wrestle them in using your legs and body weight to do most of the work. It's not graceful but it gets them in.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad