Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once you shoot a deer, how do you load into your vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once you shoot a deer, how do you load into your vehicle?

Once you shoot a deer, how do you load into your vehicle?

When I'm hunting on my land, I haul the deer in a small trailer attached to a garden tractor. The trailer bed is about a foot above ground, so it's not hard to drag the carcass on board, using a plywood plank for an inclined plane.
    I drive the tractor alongside the rear of my vehicle, and it is less than a foot from the trailer bed to the tailgate of my vehicle.
    It's nice to have help, but not really necessary with this setup.

Comment

I'm a fit young man, 6'2 and 200 lbs, and usually have no trouble lifting most deer into the pickup. For the large mule deer bucks and occasionally the big dry muley does I have found that a rope around the hind feet ran through a pulley I have installed in the front of the bed helps hold them where I can wrestle the front end onto the tailgate.

Comment

Drag them up onto th back of my ATV. From the back of the ATV into the pickup bed. Easy peasy! Lots of things are possible one step at a time!

Comment

Drag them up onto th back of my ATV. From the back of the ATV into the pickup bed. Easy peasy! Lots of things are possible one step at a time!

Comment

A good knife and a cooler with ice seams to be the the easiest way. skin quarter and rib rolled my biggest deer by body size was maybe 100 lbs

Comment

seem*

Comment

grab the antlers or hind legs for a doe and use the ol' 6'4" 250 lbs frame and give it a heave ho into the bed of my truck.

When I was in highschool, I drove a 1983 subaru justy and hauled a deer to the check-in station with it draped over the hood and the legs tied to my side mirrors. there is always a way

Comment

I'm not a big guy...155lbs. A number of bucks I've shot have come close to out weighing or outweighed me. I keep two 2" x 6"s 8 feet long boards in the back of the truck and drag the deer up. It makes it simple...the other option for someone who isn't 6'4" 250lbs but is pretty fit is to grab them from behind, under the front shoulders and wrestle them in using your legs and body weight to do most of the work. It's not graceful but it gets them in.

Comment

I'm not a big guy...155lbs. A number of bucks I've shot have come close to out weighing or outweighed me. I keep two 2" x 6"s 8 feet long boards in the back of the truck and drag the deer up. It makes it simple...the other option for someone who isn't 6'4" 250lbs but is pretty fit is to grab them from behind, under the front shoulders and wrestle them in using your legs and body weight to do most of the work. It's not graceful but it gets them in.

Comment

I can attach a block and tackle to the roll bar on my Jeep Wrangler, tie the legs together and hoist 'em in the back (no back seat or carpet, and I have a tarp to control any blood---VERY necessary.)

Comment

That's "tie the legs of the game animal together".

Comment

I am lazy, I got a loader tractor. I drag a deer to the edge of the woods or field, then drive the tractor out and lower the bucket, slide the deer in and drive the truck once at the truck i simply tilt the bucket so the deer falls into the bed. The hardest part is climbing into the tractor.

Comment

It used to be brute force and sheer ignorance but nowadays it's a Kabota tractor and sheer ignorance...

Comment

depends...when my dads truck is available and i take that hunting its really simple. im a decently strong individual, so if i have a truck bed i usually dont have any problem muscling a deer into the bed.

now the real issue is when i have to take my jeep. the back window (i have a soft top) does not unzip so that takes a rear entry out of the equation. i have to go into the passenger door, move the passenger seat forward, climb into the back of the jeep, and finagle the SOB into the back. this is all while trying to keep a majority of the blood on the plastic i lay in the back. its pure muscle power getting him in their.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rip -rbg
                                by PigHunter
                                Ha, have you tried finding buckshot lately? I already have the 00. Besides, I'm more likely to suffer a lightning strike instead of having to fire a shotgun...
                                Today, 02:22 PM
                              • Rip -rbg
                                by fitch270
                                2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                                Yesterday, 09:26 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                Here is a little primer on speech impediments.
                                If you don't know this, you will come off as ignorant, if you don't already.

https:...
                                Today, 02:09 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                Sammy Davis Jr. never went to school and he could not read, but he learned to write his name and nothing more.
                                He was financially successful but
                                Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X