Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is some basic outdoor skills that are necessary to be a REAL MAN? I think having the guts to humanely kill,clean, and eat w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a fire in very wet weather every time. I still can't do it at age 40 so don't sweat it if you can't. When I finally can I will feel complete as a man. Oh yeah and not killing for killings sake but feeling a little bit sad sometimes.

Comment

There are lots of things it takes to become a man (I'm definitely not there yet). Just to add to the list making selfless decisions that may not be the best for you, but it may help someone else out. Outdoors wise though, I guess someone who can successfully hunt the game that they are after while using wise judgement, being safe, using the game they kill correctly, and knowing how to use their weapon correctly.

Comment

Happy - Your dad may have been right, but I think it would take a better man to shave with no water. JMO.

Comment

I dry shave every morning (or at least just about every morning). No problem, especially with the fancy razors they make these days. I have managed it without a mirror but that's definitely easier for fellas who are totally clean shaved (I shape my beard). Better not let more than a couple days growth accumulate though. Now that can be painful! I think about those WWII GIs in the jungles shaving with crappy Gillete blue blades and a helmet full of dirty water ... now those guys were TOUGH. They should all have drawn a Purple Heart for that.

99explorer, it's much more dangerous driving to work every morning than hunting alone. Well, where I hunt anyway (sounds like Pennsylvania and Texas are a different planet for hunting!). I have been hunting alone for forty plus years and have made it home every time (a few close calls but from mother nature and not anything another hunter along could have helped - just would have made it worse). My wife gets in a car to drive a few miles to see her childhood friend and crash, she's gone. Having a helicopter on the scene almost immediately didn't make any difference. If you don't know what you're doing in the bush then it helps to have someone along who does. If you do know what you're doing and you take someone who doesn't it can be a handicap - and sometimes a deadly one. My experience has been if I go along with someone else we just spend all our time worrying about each other. When I hunted big game I would spend up to two weeks alone at my camp seventy miles or more from anyone. Not a problem. Certainly a lot safer than hunting in areas where someone's around every other tree, and I don't care how many guys are with you. Hunting alone in truly isolated situations gets a bad rap. The experience is really life altering. Has nothing to do with being or proving manliness. Way beyond that. It takes a bit of facing your fears and that is character-building. And then there's everyone thinking you're nuts and proving that they're wrong. Helps do something for their character too.

Comment

I normally hunt alone. But I am normally no more than 80 or so acres away from my house. I don't mind hunting with someone that knows what they are doing, because I know they will be ok. I could do it either way.

Comment

If your hunting companion steps in a pothole and breaks an ankle miles away from the nearest road, it would certainly ruin your day, and you might wish you were hunting alone.
              Of course, your companion might have a slightly different point of view on the subject.

Comment

Let me hasten to add that my preference for having a hunting companion is based on the safety aspect of the practice.
                Some of us attach more importance to that than the enjoyment of solitude.
                I mean no disrespect to those who disagree.

Comment

All very good knowledgeable and humorous posts. One thing that was not mentioned but comes to us all. One of my parents took awhile to go to their reward. I asked why there was never a complaint and if there was anything I could do. The answer has stayed with me. Carl our people are like trees we die standing up. My hope is I show that dignity to my kids.

Comment

If anybody questions my manhood, I show 'em my "Born To Be Mild" tattoo. (The tat artist was stoned that day.)

Comment

99explorer
                      Were you a Boy Scout? You sure could rattle of the scout law. If so how far did you make it?

Comment

Knife Freak - I advanced to senior scouting in my troop's explorer post, and after returning from military service, I joined the ranks of adult leadership in my old troop, first as Assistant Scoutmaster and later as Chairman of the Troop Committee.
                        I think your recognition of the scout law marks you as a former scout also.

Comment

99explorer
                          You are correct, but I am a current scout. I really believe in the law and oath and try to live by it. However lately it seems the BSA headquarters are not living up to the morally straight part.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad