Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is some basic outdoor skills that are necessary to be a REAL MAN? I think having the guts to humanely kill,clean, and eat w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is some basic outdoor skills that are necessary to be a REAL MAN? I think having the guts to humanely kill,clean, and eat w

What is some basic outdoor skills that are necessary to be a REAL MAN? I think having the guts to humanely kill,clean, and eat whatever game you take, and not be wasteful.

idk, but anyone that needs to ask what they are certainly doesnt have them.

Comment

got to be able build some type of shelter on your own

Comment

Give others the respect due them (some aren't due ANY) and do the right thing when nobody is looking.

Comment

Chewie those are admirable skills for sure but I'm not sure they define a man. What about loyalty, trustworthiness, and being honorable?

Comment

Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverend.

Comment

P.S. These traits are desirable indoors as well.

Comment

I think you are defining an Ethical Hunter. You might want to practice the above posts to become a man.

Comment

The guts to go it alone and without a load of technocrap assistance. Examples of not-so-manly technocrap: ATVs/snowmachines, motor homes, fishfinders, GPS, scentlock clothing, computer games and other phone "apps", anything camo that doesn't need to be camo (e.g. underwear and socks), rangefinders, lighted reticles, mechanical decoys, food plots, feeders, mineral supplements, e-collars, heated blinds, etc., etc. Gees, the list is endless. Does that tell you something about the unmanly direction things are going?

Comment

Chewy,
                    I think you mean what does it take to be a real hunter and outdoor sportsman.
                    All of the above have added to the list of attributes. I would say this is something that is always evolving as your experience base becomes more vast. Live and learn and enjoy your lifetime in the outdoors.

Comment

This question does not apply to me, necessarily. I was just wondering, basically what outdoor related skills would a real man have (as jhjimbo pretty much said) according to you. I just want to know what your opinion is. Any real man, if they hunted would be able to do.....(skill or ethics statement that you attribute to being a good outdoors man).

Carl Huber, 99, DSM, country road- As I just stated, I didn't word my question very well. Those are all things that a real man should have, for sure. Maybe my question should have been "What skills/attributes would a real man have. Now that I look back at my question, Necessary was not the right word.

OHH- Anyone who needs that kind of crutch, is not a man. What has happen to fair chase??!?!?!?!

Comment

Yeah, I'm surprised Cabela's doesn't sell geek eyeglass frames complete with the white tape across the nose bridge. Hell, if they made them cammo I'm sure the things would sell like hotcakes. And camo geek hair gel. No one sells that either? I guess the guys in marketing over there are pretty slow on the draw. I keep looking for KIA to come out with a camo clown car. By the way has anyone heard what the horn sounds like for those cubist geekmobiles? Probably the tune from a merry-go-round. Yep, this world is heading anywhere but into manliness.

Comment

At some point in every man's life there is a test given, there are no standardized answers, no criterion, no teacher and no doubt whether you pass or not. For some it is joining the military for others it is much more personal and more meaningful, when your test in life comes you will know it and you will be able to look anyone in the eye and say, without a doubt, I AM A MAN!

Comment

While I agree with most of OHH's observations in principle, I part company with him on the merits of hunting alone.
                            Hunting alone out of necessity may be acceptable on occasion, but from a safety point of view, a hunter who does so out of choice is exercising poor judgment.

Comment

A bit of levity. My Dad used to say it took a real man to shave with cold water, no mirror, and then use Hoppe's #9 for after shave.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pistol shooting form.
                                by DakotaMan
                                I never tried that one 99, You learn something every day....
                                Today, 01:20 AM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by PigHunter
                                I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what...
                                Today, 01:17 AM
                              • Hunting pants?
                                by fitch270
                                This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
                                Yesterday, 10:22 PM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
                                Today, 01:13 AM
                              • Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X