Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you know what "phases" turkeys go through every spring and which is the "best" phase to hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you know what "phases" turkeys go through every spring and which is the "best" phase to hunt?

How many of you know what "phases" turkeys go through every spring and which is the "best" phase to hunt?

There are Five (5) "phases" turkeys go through every spring.
    Each phase lasts approximately fifteen (15) days with a margin of error of five (5) days from the start.

Phase 1
    Gobblers start to leave winter mode looking for hens. You'll see large flocks of hens and toms.

Phase 2
    Toms break up and establish harems of hens. This phase shows as one or two toms and several hens. The "extra" gobbler(s) (I've seen as many as four or five toms!) act as a "lookout" for the dominant bird.

Phase 3
    This is the "Sweet" spot! Everybody's a hero with a turkey call! It's like the "peak" of the deer rut. Hens are bred and setting. Ol Tom has had "ladies" at his beck and call and he's lonesome! I've called in some nice toms with some pretty awful calling. I called two in with a box call that "squeaked" rather than yelped!

Phase 4
    Hens are nesting and unavailable! During the Phase 3, tom's will establish "strut spots". During this phase, he spends most of his time moving from "spot" to "spot".
    Find his "spots" and you can ambush him.

Phase 5
    Toms revert back to "Fall Mode". Poults should be hatching. There will be an occasional hen whose nest was broken up that will find a tom.
    Sometimes, "fighting purrs" will bring a dominant bird in.

Comment

That ain't right bubba. Its gooble, shoot, breast out, fry up, and eat.

Comment

"Breast out?"

jay! Amigo! You ain't 'posta shoot th' girl ones! Just th' boy ones!

Comment

killed a few birds in phase 3, most in phase 4. this is mostly based on when my season opens for the tag i purchased.

Comment

scratch

We just get the one 30 day season. No choice.
            The last 4 or 5 years, season opened in phase 4 or 5, so hunting has been pretty tough. It's been a while since calling was actually fun and productive.

Comment

its a little different here in MI. if you want to hunt the early season, which starts later in april you have to apply for it. your always guaranteed a tag, but you may not get drawn to hunt the earlier part of the season when the breeding is at its peak (however chances are extremely high you will depending on the unit you want to hunt). i cant hunt this season due to school, so i have to hunt the later season that starts early may. in early may the birds are still quite vocal. hunting really cools down around may 15 though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad