Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 7.62 adequate deer cartridge? I know the actual slug is pretty big, but does it have the power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 7.62 adequate deer cartridge? I know the actual slug is pretty big, but does it have the power?

Is the 7.62 adequate deer cartridge? I know the actual slug is pretty big, but does it have the power?

If you mean the 7.62x39, it is o.k. for moderate range.
    7.62x51 is the NATO round and the same as the .308 - mucho power for deer.

Comment

I had the same question. I'd put the 7.62x39mm on a par with a .30-30, but the 7.62x51mm (.308 Win) is more powerful and will provide more than sufficient energy for deer.

Comment

Ditto~EJP,
        The 7.62x39R and 7.62x51 will take a White Tail down, the 308Win will do a better Job at longer ranges then the 7.62x39R as Ed said its in the 30-30 range.

Comment

With the 7.62x39, the problem isn't the cartridge at .30-30 ranges, it's the delivery system. If you can't put the bullet into a vital area, you might as well be throwing rocks.

Comment

I had a 7.62 x 39 and got rid of it, did not like it for deer at all.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Ruger chambered a few of their Model 77 bolt action rifles for the 7.62x39mm. I think handloading would optimize that cartridge in this rifle, but I am impressed that Ruger would address that demand (and others). I think Ruger is relatively responsive to the market, and their limited production runs cover many of the requests we make as shooters.

Comment

Chewy,
                The 7.62x39 is considerably less powerful than the 30-30
                Some statistics:

7.62x39 125gr 2368 vel 1555 energy
                30-30 125gr 2630 1920

7.62z39 150gr 2072 1430
                30-30 150gr 2450 1995

In my opinion the 7.62x39 for deer is for not much more that 125yds while the 30-30 with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo 160grFTX at 2400fps and 2046 energy could be effective to 250yds.

Comment

7.62 mm is the diameter of a whole bunch of projectiles loaded into a whole bunch of different sized cases. Are we talking 7.62X39 which is about as potent as the .30-30 or the .300 Win. Mag. that is a popular elk caliber. 7.62 mm is equal in diameter to .30 caliber which is one of the most popular bullet diameters. A more specific question please.

Comment

To stir this pot just a bit, one thing I've never understood is why the 7.62 x 39 is pretty thin for deer, yet the .30 Herrett from a Contender is gangbusters with the right load. Any thoughts as to why?

Comment

To clarify, I was asking about 7.62 x 39. I think my question was answered though.

Comment

The 30 herrett is considered marginal by the authors of Cartridges of The World, Frank Barnes. And that is only if it is in the hands of an experienced hunter, i.e. a good shot. The statistics show it is about the same as the 7.62x39.
                        I know people hunt with it like they do with the .30carbine but they are on the lower level on the power range for deer.

Comment

I've never used the 7.62X39 to hunt deer, but my brother-in-law has, with a mini-30, and took a couple deer with it. The area we hunt is pretty thick, so ranges are short, under 100 yards.

Comment

ch bob- That is bout how our land is.

Comment

Jhjimbo, I've got a 10" .30 Herrett barrel for my Contender. It likes 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips and it's lethal on deer out to about 150 yards. Not sure why, I just know it works. Maybe part of the equation is that I have faith in it, who knows.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by crm3006
                                "I was chastised by 99explorer"

#1 Bubba, I was bitten by a mosquito a couple of days ago that bothered me a whole lot more than...
                                Today, 01:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X