Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to hunting and want to ask for a gun for my birthday. I've been hunting with my grandpa and uncles for a few years now s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say a .30-06 also, there are many around that are used but in great shape, also so many weights and bullet styles available it would make a fantastic first rifle, a good all-round caliber that you can shoot forever, you may get new rifles in the future, but you will never outgrow a .30-06!

Comment

Safado, thanks for the information. You really helped me out a lot! Your right about the elk. I'm just going to focus on good deer cal.

Comment

Well to begin with you're worrying considerably too much about recoil. Don't get me wrong, I, and I can speak for most of the population out here, does not like recoil. They say that those who like recoil also like dental pain, and I don't think that's wrong. That being said, get a .308 winchester. A 30'06 will not have too much recoil. You do not notice recoil in the field, and once you have your rifle sighted in you only need to check it for a zero before the hunt. You're worrying about it too much. Personally, I would get a .308 because of the extensive ammunition options, and it's extremely universal. Good luck and good hunting. Now you get to start researching optics...haha!

Comment

Panfry101, optics will be my next post...

Comment

Njb123 - You have made the right decision. Congratulations and good luck.

Comment

Njb123, there is lots of good advice here. I would second the guys who recommended a .308 or 7mm-08. I also like the .270 as an all around cartidge and I have used mine on elk with good results. Any of the three will give good service. Someone posted above about trying different calibers out first and if you can swing it I promise you will be glad you did. When doing so make sure you factor in the wieght of the rifle you are shooting in evaluating recoil. It makes a big difference.
              I am going to respectfully disagree with Panfry in that I think you should practice with your rifle as much as humanly/financially possible especially as a new shooter. It will pay off in the field. Also do not just shoot from the bench. Try sticks, kneeling, etc. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!

Comment

I gave my 12 year old Grandson a Tikka T3 Lite .308 with a Simms Limb Saver recoil pad on it and he loves it. He has killed a couple deer with it and he says the recoil is nil. The choice of bullets for the .308 is endless. I had put a Nikon 3X9X50 Buckmaster scope on it. I have 5 or 6 Nikon Buckmaster scopes and they have served me fine even on some hard recoiling rifles. The Tikka T3 Lite only weighs 6 1/2 pounds minus the scope.

Comment

When the first time I shot a 30-06 I think I was twelve or thirteen I was expecting way more recoil, but it was less than 12ga turkey mags. It's not a whole lot more than a 30-30. If I could only have on caliber it would be the 30-06.
                  What Rifle and model do you have in mind?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad