Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Guys. I am currently visiting my sister in Spain, and today we took a train out of Madrid and into Salamanca. On the way,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys. I am currently visiting my sister in Spain, and today we took a train out of Madrid and into Salamanca. On the way,

Hey Guys. I am currently visiting my sister in Spain, and today we took a train out of Madrid and into Salamanca. On the way, I saw multiple fallow deer. I saw one buck, which caught my eye, because he had antlers. I was wondering, do any of you know if they don't shed (I thought all deer did) or perhaps if they shed at different times of the year? Thanks so much. \- Jack

They will shed their antlers in March or April.

Jack, try to take a few photos of the Spain wildlife including the fallow deer, if you’re able to. Post the photos on the Trophy Room. Good luck and have a great time.

Comment

All deer shed their antlers. It sounds like a great trip.
      On a side note, as a native-born Marylander, I'd like to invite you to check out our website at www.deer30outdoors.com and feel free to share any comments. Thanks.

Comment

I believe George Washington imported some fallow deer to this country, but they did not catch on.
        They have very interesting antler shapes, with palmated racks like a moose. Fallow deer are raised in captivity in some states on high-fenced hunting ranches.

Comment

florida and texas have them don't they on private ranches?

Comment

The female caribou will drop their antlers after giving birth in the spring. Sometimes up until June.

Hey Jack, Spring is coming.
            Starting Pitchers Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, and Cliff Lee.
            "Go Phillies Beat the Nationals!"

Comment

I got 3 names for ya Gary. Jordan Zimmermann, Stephen Strausburg, and Gio Gonzales.

Comment

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to get any pictures of the wildlife. The only time I am out of the city's is on a train going 70 mph. If I can I will try. However, if you guys are interested I will upload some pictures of their cities and some inside of one of their hunting stores.

Comment

deer in captivity can keep there antlers longer, i think it has to do with the drying of the pedestal under the antler, there are two or three places near me in wisconsin with captive deer with full sets yet. I also saw one today in a wildlife sanctuary with a half rack. I starting to think there might be a relationship between food and stress, causing deer to shed antlers. Most dropped them in early to mid january here from what i can tell from trial cams. Have fun over there sounds like a cool trip, honestly didn't know there were fallow deer in spain, where are they native to?

Comment

I have seen bucks in both MD and VA with their antlers on opening day of turkey season (early april) I also killed a buck by accident before Christmas that had already shed.

But one thing is for sure, if it is an "antler" it will come off eventually.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad