Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking about getting my first gun. I would be using it for target shooting and deer hunting. I am interested in lever a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking about getting my first gun. I would be using it for target shooting and deer hunting. I am interested in lever a

I am thinking about getting my first gun. I would be using it for target shooting and deer hunting. I am interested in lever action rifles and would want a round that would not cost to much. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Marlin 336 in 30-30, amo is reasonable and it is a fine deer gun. Easy to mount a scope on Use Hornady Leverevolution 160gr for hunting, less expensive Remington 150gr or 170gr for target practice.
    Winchester '94 30-30, same as above. More suited to iron sights.

Comment

The Marlin 336 in 30-30 fits that description perfectly.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Does it matter to you if it's new or used? I agree the Marlin 336 is a good choice. I'm seeing a number of used Winchester Model 94s in local (Northwestern Oregon) gunshops.

Comment

Both rifles in 30-30 fit the bill,EJP I see the same on the east coast and they are fetching good prices.

Comment

If you opt for the 94 Win, try to locate the AE (Angle Eject) model. Look for the "AE" in the model designation. Much simpler scope mounting.
              The .30-30 is a superb "deer" round. Extremely popular with ammo available just about anywhere.

Comment

It doesn't matter new or used, but is the higher price of the Winchester worth it. And is there any special year for the used Winchesters or other designations to look out for other than the AE.

Comment

A Winchester model 94 pre 1964 would be a serial number before 2,700,000. Pre '64 are considered better made.
                  In 1992, the cross bolt safety was added.
                  I am not sure when the angle eject was introduced. If you desire a scope, the AE is definitely the one to get.
                  They are made in a wide variety of calibers but 30-30 is the most common. Total over 5,000,000 have been made.
                  I have a pre-64 in 30-30 that i removed the rear sight and installed a peep sight on the receiver. I bet i have carried my model 94 a thousand miles and taken a bunch or deer with it. With the new Hornady ammo Leverevolution 160gr the gun is amazingly accurate and the pointed polymer tip bullet adds more yardage to the effective range of the old 30-30.
                  I would say the Winchester has a little more nostalgia associated with it, but i am in no way putting down the Marlin 336, i have one of those to.
                  You might check Gunbroker.com and your local gun stores and estate sales.
                  Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Comment

I would go with the marlin 336. I have one and my dad has a 94. I prefer my marlin.

Comment

here is my take on the basis for choosing your first deer rifle and the more popular rifles www.deer30outdoors.com/caliber-selection-for-whitetail-deer/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad