Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use .22 shorts for squirrel hunting? How far do they travel after being shot and and at what distance after being sh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use .22 shorts for squirrel hunting? How far do they travel after being shot and and at what distance after being sh

Does anyone use .22 shorts for squirrel hunting? How far do they travel after being shot and and at what distance after being shot are they considered safe. I normally use a shotgun for squirrels so the shot doesn't travel far but next season I'd like to try a .22 but I've heard a .22 LR round can travel a very far distance after being shot.One last thing, can any .22 rifle shoot shorts?

.22 shorts are plenty powerful enough for squirrels. I've killed my fair share with them, and bullfrogs, too. I would consider that the modern .22 short will shoot almost the distance of a long rifle, and is just as dangerous if you do not know where the bullet will come to earth.
    As to any rifle shooting shorts, yes, they can. Semi-automatics probably will not cycle them, nor will a lot of bolt actions feed the short cartridge. You are back to shooting a single shot weapon. Best to stay with a rifle marked for .22 S, L, & LR.

Comment

Ditto~~crm3006 +1 Good Call.

thehunter98.6: Look for some used old Pump Action .22Rifles back in the day they were set-up for .22S,L,& Lr. Stevens,Savage,Marlin,Winchesters...Shoot Straight and know your back-stop.

Comment

The Marlin 39A of yore (I have one!) easily handles all three rounds.
        I don't know that anybody still makes "long" ammo?
        The short is a pretty neat round but would reduce "effective" range considerably compared to the long or long rifle.

Comment

I use a .22 for squirrels but I try to limit myself to shots with safe backstops (no aerials). Typically if your patient, the squirrels will come down to the ground to feed. But I am also hunting National Forest where the closest house is about 3 miles in any direction.
          I have always heard a .22 long can travel as far as 1-1.5 miles. Its a safe bet that a .22 short will travel far enough that you don't want to forget basic safety course instruction and keep a safe backstop.

Comment

My Henry lever action cycles 22 shorts with ease. Great little round to put meat in the pot. Good luck.

Comment

22 short will work just fine

Comment

You have to use the same cautions as with any other rifle round. That said, shorts will certainly work. Back when I hunted squirrels in my youth, some of the guys preferred using shorts, saying the lower velocity did a better job of knocking the squirrel out of the tree, while a .22lr would pass through too quickly, leaving a dead squirrel on a limb. I’m not sure it’s really that much of an issue, and as mentioned, you usually shouldn’t be taking high shots with a rifle anyway. But that was their theory.

Comment

.22 shorts also have the added advantage of often times sounding like a hickory nut hitting the ground. The reduced noise is always a plus.

Comment

I have a Henery lever action and that works like a charm with the shorts, I also have a Whinchester semi that shoots them good too. I wouldnt suggest shooting them in a gun that is not marked for them though.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Comment

The rounds are light enough that most wont do damage when they come down
                        (20-30gr) also it takes very little to deflect, tumble, or stop a .22 short so thick tree cover helps. But always remember that it is a gun and can cause real damage. I will agree with DesertWalker my first gun was a Henery Lever Action and it still works great for squirrels.

Comment

I was taught if you are shooting squirrels in trees use a shotgun after the leaves have fallen and you're hunting them on the ground use a 22. That was due to the carry associated with 22s. The 22 short will work fine just be sure of your background.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad