Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I skinned out a small buck (<1 yr old) last December and found in the connective gut tissue a bunch of brownish-black little bal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I skinned out a small buck (<1 yr old) last December and found in the connective gut tissue a bunch of brownish-black little bal

I skinned out a small buck (<1 yr old) last December and found in the connective gut tissue a bunch of brownish-black little balls the size of large BB's. A bunch as in hundreds of them. I have never seen this before. If there is a doc/vet in the house, could you please tell me what these are? Thanks in advance.

What State and were did you take the Deer, It mite help the Vet or Doc, the more Info...the better...just saying.

Comment

I have seen these same little nodes on many occasions in Maryland and Virginia. The deer were in perfect health and were eaten without incident.
      My wife is a vet and once told me that they were Hemal Nodes and are completely normal in ruminants such as deer, elk, and cattle.

no need to worry

Comment

I'm no expert at all, but could they of been some type of acorn? Just about every deer I dress is filled with acorns, many of which are water oak acorns. Water oak acorns kind of sound like what you're describing! Again, I could be very wrong!

Comment

Deer30 thanks to you and the Dr. for the explanation of the old hemal node in the connective tissue trick. Sounds plausible and yes, the little buck was healthy and therefore consequently delicious.
          Tree and Ga, I was raised in the forks of the Angelina-Neches River aka the deep East Texas area. Skinned many deer and wild hogs as a teen. They feed on abundant river bottom pin oak acorns, which are also called water oaks. In many country folks opinion, some of the best wild game are small pigs called choates, usually weighing 25-40lbs. These are any bbq mans dream pig. Sorry, but I love pin oak trees and it is easy to get off on a tangent.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
            by PigHunter
            Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
            Today, 06:44 PM
          • How do you fly ?
            by jhjimbo
            Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
            Today, 04:18 PM
          • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
            by PigHunter
            Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
            Today, 06:35 PM
          • Handgun Laser Sights
            by PigHunter
            On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
            08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
          • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
            by PigHunter
            Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
            Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X