Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im just curious about this. ok so i am going to be 16 in may and this past year i have hunted and everything more than i ever ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im just curious about this. ok so i am going to be 16 in may and this past year i have hunted and everything more than i ever ha

im just curious about this. ok so i am going to be 16 in may and this past year i have hunted and everything more than i ever have. on march 18, 2012 when i was 14my dad died. and he was the one who tought me just about everything i know about hunting/guns/the oudoors. luckily, i know some amazing people who have really helped me and my family out. and ive gone hunting more this year than i ever have. since the begining of squirrel sason up to now ive got: god knows how many squirrels, two deer, two rabbits, a red fox (my proudest kill ever), and im in pursuit of my first turkey. ive really embraced hunting and all this alot more and i know alot ofpeople my age dont. just curious, is there anyone else on here who has gone theough somthing similar? and are there any more people here my age who strive to stay in the woods?

Not quite the same, but my father passed away when I was 27. He too was the person who taught me about fishing and firearms. It's very fortunate that you have people who are assiting you and your family. Keep up the time in the woods, you seem like a fine young man, and I'm sure your father is proud of you.

Comment

My son is now 18, he hunted every day rain or shine.His sister would drop him off after school and I would pick him up at dark,he told me at the time he couldn't wait to get his drivers lic. so he could put up his deer stands.I am sorry to hear about your dad but I am sure he is proud of you.

Comment

My deepest sympathy on the early loss of your father. I was 25 when my dad died, and I'd give a year of my life for one more day in the woods with him. Even now, over forty years later, I feel like if I could just look to the side quick enough, I'd see him leaning up against a tree, grinning and enjoying with me that special thrill of being in the turkey woods on a spring morning. He instilled in me a love of the outdoors that has only gotten stronger as the years have passed.

Comment

I too am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. When I was probably around 6 years old I started to become addicted to the woods, guns, water, fishing poles, lures and everything in-between. I spent every waking hour either attempting to get lost out behind my parents, or "tracking" whatever game I could. My school projects were all hunting related, my fathers hunting magazines were all cut up and I would save my favorite pictures in a binder. I built blind after blind in the woods on everything from deer runs to squirrel nests by the time I was 10 and my father would, on occasion, come out and sit in them with me. Although I still have my father, I thought I was going to lose him when I was 17 to a heart attack, and it scared the crap out of me. It's only a tiny piece of what you've been through, but during his recovery alot of people stepped foreward to help me out. It sounds like you have some cool family friends, and good people in your life. Keep it up, as the world becomes more crazy, the woods become more peaceful. And they're a good place to be.

Comment

My wife and I spent our first date 25 years ago last fall fishing together on my cabin cruiser in the Straits of Jaun de Fuca in Washington state. We continued to fish together every year until she was fatally injured in a car accident two years ago. Seven months earlier we lost our beautiful son who was also a fishing nut. I didn't put the canoe or cruiser back in the water until last summer. It was tough but I'm okay now.

My dad got me started hunting but because he worked shift work it was hard to find time to get together for it. We had big plans for his retirement. But two months after he retired in 1975 he blew out his back and never was able to do very much after that. I continued on by myself and still hunt by myself to this day. Dad wasn't a great one for living vicariously through his kids but he sure enjoyed hearing about my hunting stories. Three years before he died he drove all the way out here from Montana in the dead of winter just to help me cut up a moose. We shared a bottle of peppermint schnapps while we finished butchering the whole thing. The ladies and my son went to watch the Nutcracker. A wonderful memory.

Comment

Sorry about your father. I am turning 17 soon, my dad turning 66. Because of his age he doen't get out much with me but now with my license and a group of friends i get out hunting a lot. I live out in the country so i can hunt anytime i want. My dad taught me everything i know about gun safety and duck hunting. I am going to try to drag him hunting this spring to get him his first turkey. He has taken an interest because i make my own calls.

Comment

I will start by saying Ive never went through anything like what you or others like OH have went through and I cannot even imagine what it must be like. Im 18 and in the last 3 years Ive done more hunting with my Dad than I have in my entire life. And excluding squirrel and coon hunting I think my dad has done more hunting the last 3 years than he has his entire life. Before I realy got into hunting and fishing my Dad and I went firearms deer hunting and turkey hunting and that was it. Now we hunt an array of things in multiple states. We got into waterfowl hunting 5 years ago and now its one of our favorite seasons not to mention we have gotten pretty good at it, 3 years ago we picked up bow hunting and thats a blast and gives us the opportunity to be in the woods a lot. we hunt We hunt hard from early bow in september to the end of goose season in january and then again in april and may for turkeys. I will be going to college next fall but I plan to stay close to home and come back on the weekends to continue our hunting traditions together. I enjoy every minuet. So yes, there are more kids who strive to stay in the woods.

Comment

Since I turned 14 my dad has been living on borrowed time and I lived the better part of my life scared that he was going to depart. Thank fully the tough old codger has beat the odds and is still with us. Its nothing compared to your loss but I can kind of relate. I am now a dad and my twins are getting old enough to start hunting and I so want to do everything right to keep them in the woods and on the water and grounded. I hope that your generation can find a way to stay connected to the woods and water and I wish you the best as you go forward. Someday you will be the dad and what your father instilled in you will be passed on to your children and will live on.

Comment

Since I turned 14 my dad has been living on borrowed time and I lived the better part of my life scared that he was going to depart. Thank fully the tough old codger has beat the odds and is still with us. Its nothing compared to your loss but I can kind of relate. I am now a dad and my twins are getting old enough to start hunting and I so want to do everything right to keep them in the woods and on the water and grounded. I hope that your generation can find a way to stay connected to the woods and water and I wish you the best as you go forward. Someday you will be the dad and what your father instilled in you will be passed on to your children and will live on.

Comment

I'll be 17 next week, and I really can't imagine losing my dad at such a young age. This spring marks my 4th year of hunting (every species I can), and I don't know what I wold do if I couldn't hunt again. A friend took my squirrel and coyote huntin a few times and got me hooked, but my dad wasn't a hunter. My grandfather is a preacher so I asked him to find me somebody in the church that knew how to hunt. My huntin partner at the time was 77 I believe, and he is now 81 and still going strong! I can't imagine losing him either because of the countless hours we have spent together hunting, fishing, and working. In that time he has become almost like a second father to me, and he encourages me in my hunting career very much! I love the outdoors, and I will continue to love them 'til the day that the Lord calls me home. I'm very sorry for the loss of your father, but know that you have a God who loves you and cares for you. Good hunting!

Comment

Sorry for your loss. My Dad taught me much of what i know about the outdoors and i'm forever grateful. Luckily i still hunt and fish with him from time to time. Keep at it, quiet time in the woods is a great time to reflect.

Comment

Andrew, so sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like he taught you right and you have a good group of friends to help you. Always keep the interest in the woods and outdoors and keep the memories of you and your dad close.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad