Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to talk myself into/out of getting an AR-15. I will feel guilty if I don't use it for hunting. I know if I get an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to talk myself into/out of getting an AR-15. I will feel guilty if I don't use it for hunting. I know if I get an AR

I am trying to talk myself into/out of getting an AR-15. I will feel guilty if I don't use it for hunting. I know if I get an AR-10 in .308 I could use it for deer and big game, but I don't know what you can do with a .223. So, my question is, What can you hunt (with a clear conscious) with a .223?

Varmints, shooting, and defense are three big things. If you hunt varmints it would be a great rifle!

Comment

Lots of folks burn lots of .223 ammo and take lots of different game. Personally? Targets, varmints and home defense is all I'd feel "comfortable" using it for.

Comment

I agree with the posts above, but draw the line at deer hunting. The .223 is not legal for deer hunting in many states.
        That should tell you something.

Comment

The .223 is a GREAT coyote hunting gun.

Comment

That is kinda what I figured. I wouldn't put it to deer. Just not wise. I have a hard enough time killing them with my 30-06 (I'm a bad shot, but if I hit them in the shoulder area, they always die pretty quick). I could use a .308 though, if I could find one used for cheap (for an AR).

Comment

You might as well get one. Even if you only shoot it at the range, you'll feel validated in your purchase. They're incredibly fun. As for sporting uses, varmints are what they're best for, but I know several people who use them for hogs. Not for shooting trophy boars, but hog control, mainly shooting 40-100 pound hogs (the best eating size, incidentally). A .223 to the cranium will put that caliber of pork straight down, every time.

Comment

Gophers. If you can find any ammunition.

Comment

Don't listen to any fool who will tell you to buy something you don't need. That's just dumb advice for anything in life. Save your money for what you know you'll enjoy. Got a girlfriend yet? They have a way of eating up a lot of cash and I found out way too late in life that it really was a much healthier way to spend my money than just hunting and fishing all the time. When you're my age you'll find tilling the fields of romance as a young man will provide a lot more worthwhile memories than thousands of rounds punched through paper at some range. My thoughts, anyway.

Comment

Sounds like the same old question, just rephrased: "Is the .223 Remington an adequate deer cartridge?" The inadequacy of the .223 Rem has not changed for most hunters...

Comment

I think that at least one manufacturer builds an AR chambered for .243 win. I think one might be Panther Arms or DPMS. Give them a look. While my state just made .223 a legal hunting round for deer, I just couldn't bring myself to go that light. However, .243 is a great deer round.

Comment

'06 for deer and larger game. Mouse guns for mice and two legged varmints.

Comment

Sourdough Dave- A .243 would be awesome! I could hunt every thing in my area. I think if I do get one that is what I will get. Thanks!

WAM- I didn't think you could hunt deer with it. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with how big of a critter you could humanely kill with it (was a large hog too big and things like that).

Comment

.223 is a great coyote round

Comment

I use my AR-15 Bushmaster Varminter for hunting prairie dogs out to 500 yards, fox out to 500 yards, coyotes out to 350 yards, antelope out to 300 yards and deer out to 250 yards. It is a 1:9 twist so I am limited to a max of 75g bullets but choose not to shoot the heavier bullets anyway for speed and flat shooting. I shoot varmints with a 50g V-Max and antelope and deer with 55g Combined Technology bullets.

Don't let anyone who has never shot a deer with a good bullet using an AR-15 tell you that they won't kill deer. I've seen wound channels, crushed bone and penetration quite similar to a .308 150g Hornady. I've never had a cripple yet and don't intend to. Obviously if you miss your shot or shoot them in the foot, you can expect bad results just like you would get with a .375 H&H. They are among the worst in thick brush due to their speed and light weight causing deflection. If you hunt in the brush, a .35 Rem or 30-30 will be better. If there is nothing but air between you and the deer, you can expect results quite similar to a .243.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad