Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the stupidest thing you have ever seen somebody do while hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    EJP, your comment about the hunter grasping the barrel of a gun reminded me of a similar but sadder situation. I got home from school one evening and saw about a three foot puddle of blood in our driveway. Later I heard the story as my dad returned from the hospital, covered in blood.

My dad's best friend had done the same thing. He certainly knew better, being an avid and safe hunter and having just returned from a tour of military duty. He pulled his new over/under 12 gauge from the jeep by the barrel to show it off to my dad. The discharge caught him about 1/4 inch above his heart and blew two ribs off his spine with about a 3 inch exit wound. The exiting debris ripped a chuck out of the left arm on my grandfather's new leather jacket and embedded so much bone in the front of the jacket that he had to throw it away. It was a very sad week around our house that I will never forget. I also think it contributed to the high level of concern my whole family has for firearm safety since that time.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    It is a tie:
    1. A friend shot his first coyote as it was swimming across a nearly frozen Missouri river. It had big chunks of ice floating down the fast current. He wanted to retrieve the coyote from about 100 yards off shore. He slithered on his belly from iceburg to iceburg all the way as he drifted downstream in the fast current. Just as he arrived at the coyote, a swirl in the current pulled the coyote under the ice. He reached under the ice to get a hold on the coyote's ear and slowly pulled it up on his chunk of ice.

Then he slithered back with the coyote. I could not talk him out of it and watched in horror as he narrowly escaped drowning or sliding beneath the ice. That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

2. An acquaintance came coyote hunting very poorly dressed for -15 degree weather. I tried to talk him out of embarking on our 4 mile walk but he insisted he knew what he was doing and refused to go back for warmer gloves, coat and headgear. At about mile two, he got hypothermia and laid down on the ice to rest as he was crossing a stretch of river. He quickly fell asleep and awoke as a big male coyote sniffed his nose. He said he was nearly frozen but could feel the adrenalin course his body as he saw about 20 coyotes around him. He mustered the energy to raise his rifle which was still in his hand. He shot the coyote from the bottom of the chest and out the back so I know he wasn't fibbing. After the shot, he said, he got new energy and ran all the way to our rendevouz place dragging the coyote. I mounted the coyote for him and it was the biggest coyote I have ever seen or mounted. I had a real challenge getting that powder burn out of the fine silverwhite hair on the coyote's chest. That was close the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    last spring gobbler season I was hunting public land here in GA. As I was calling, another hunter began calling to me. I even watched as he "sneaked" up to about 80 yards from me answering each call I made. I had to stand up to let him know I was a hunter.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    Most of the stuff I have witnessed revolves around poor muzzle control with a loaded firearm.

Leave a comment:

• GrantHarland
    replied
    Light up a cigarette in the stand right before daybreak.

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

Hunters not being sure of their target, or what's around it.

Then comes the 'other' idiots, leaving their trash behind.

Leave a comment:

• Kansashuntandfish
    replied
    In January I was driving across a dam with a big lake on one side and public hunting on the other. I saw 2 cars stopped in front of me so I stopped a little ways behind them. I saw they were looking at a deer sliding on the ice. As the deer came to the bank and up to the road a guy jump out of one of the cars with his gun.when the deer got in the middle of the road he pulled up to shoot but saw me threw his scope. Then when the deer crossed the road he ran to that side to try to shoot it but then I started yelling at him and told him I was going to call the game wardens. Then he took off as fast as he could in his truck.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Years ago, I was varminting with a companion on a dairy property in Upstate NY. Both of us have military experience. We separated to different sides of a pasture road to shoot out from the road to the adjoining pastures, one to the left, the other to the right. I looked back a while later and saw my shooting companion glassing my side of the pasture with the 10X scope on the .22-250 I had loaned him. I had a 12X scope on my rifle, and could discern details. I wondered why he wasn't glassing his side of the road, as we had agreed, but I was concerned because the bolt was closed on his rifle and his finger was in the trigger guard. I waved from the prone position, and he waved back, then turned his attention elsewhere. Later, he told me he had a round in the chamber. That was the last time we've been afield together, and it's been a long time!

Leave a comment:

• cb bob
    replied
    I was hunting on state land, and walking out for lunch, I see a guy with his rifle up to his shoulder looking through the scope, so I stopped and waited. when he put the gun down I walked up to ask him what he saw. "I was looking at one of my buddies down at the bottom of the hill." I reminded him that he should probably use binoculars. I didn't go back after lunch.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    While Hunting in up-State NY on State Land had one hunter come by Drunker then a Skunk lost and could not find his Gun "Thank God" I think I found his gun the next
    Hunting Season, A Rem 141 Pump/35Rem in fair shape over the winter snows.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    while bear hunting, we were about to start a drive. the group circled up and we all began loading our weapons. behind me all the sudden i heard BOOM!!! one of the guys 45-70's went off right into the dirt next to guys foot. his face was pure white. out where we were, you get shot, your going to bleed out. no cell service, no hospitals.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Luckily, farting in their coveralls is about the worst crime I've seen, its got nowhere to go but up. I have seen my fathers old 06' go off while he was unloading it before, he was pointed in a safe direction, it was still humbling to see though.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I think the stupidest thing a hunter can do in the forest is steal another hunter's trail camera, ground blind or tree stand. Why would anybody do that and even take the risk, knowing there is another hunter out there with a deadly weapon who could easily retaliate against you.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    I was getting in position to start a deer drive when a doe busted out under my feet, as I looked in the direction of where the deer was going I noticed an orange clad hunter raise his gun and aim at the doe directly between us at less than 35 yards.He then pulled the trigger and all I could think was there goes my legs,I was so close I could see he was Amish and he was shooting a Rem 1100.Thank God he hit the deer and not me,he walked over to me and said "that could have been a bad situation"I said it didn't stop you from shooting did it!He then walked away and collected his doe or so I thought I guess he got shook up and he walked back up to me and ask if I knew where the deer was?I pointed him in the right direction which was 30 feet away and I said there is a drive coming please don't shoot in that area.It was so foolish I wasn't even angry!

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I had a friends brother shoot and kill my German Shorthair in mistake for a pheasant. He saw movement and shot into the brush. Bad as it was we had his two young kids hunting too and it just as easily could have been them. Needless to say I never hunted with him again but it got me out of pheasant hunting for a long time.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
    by rock rat
    Are you doubting the CIA/China/Russia/Iran/Hugo Chavez connection? Maybe they've hacked your account, sending everyone to FEMA camps.

On...
    Today, 09:21 AM
  • Voter Fraud
    by bowhunter75richard
    For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
    11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
  • Reply to Voter Fraud
    by Danbo
    I don't believe the rangers raided any servers in Germany. Don't fall for fake news....
    Today, 07:35 AM
  • Reply to Here is a little more food for thought.
    by Danbo
    Bow hunter - You forgot that they just don't hate Trump they hate us. Hell some of them have called for Trump supporters to be sent to re-education camps!...
    Today, 07:32 AM
  • Here is a little more food for thought.
    by crm3006
    Wishful thinking? Vast right wing conspiracy? Nutty as a fruitcake, or some hard solid truth that the lamestream media is afraid to report? Follow the...
    Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X