Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think or know if there is much poaching in your area? Small game or big game? Do you think the game department does a goo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think or know if there is much poaching in your area? Small game or big game? Do you think the game department does a goo

Do you think or know if there is much poaching in your area? Small game or big game? Do you think the game department does a good job in catching and prosecuting the offender(s).

Yeah there is poaching around here. Some people will shot birds and rabbits anytime of the year without thinking of the consequences. I have twice found deer thrown in a ditch. One I found i knew who shot it, they sawed the antlers off and left it for the yotes. I called an officer about it and he said that that sort of thing had been happening a lot. The other deer i found was in that same spot, same guy. I will also mention this guy has fired AT my house. I was watching TV once and a bullet zipped above my head and lodged itself in a wall. Went to confront him and his wife said he went to the local bar. Go figure.

Comment

I think there is less poaching in my area than in the past but not because of law inforcement. There are more leases and trail cameras and the money invested has the investors regulating their own hunting grounds.I never see a game warden while hunting!

Comment

Yes! We catch them ever year on my grandpas place. 2 years ago we got one guy, a tresspasser, real good. I'd bet that deer wasn't worth the $1000 fine. Could have got him for even more if we would have chosen to. The guys piss me off and I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. This year a guy pulled up and shot a deer out of his truck window while I was in my stand 200 yards away and directly parallel to him. Tried to run him down but he was in his truck. We know who did it but there was no proof besides we knew the truck. So hard to resist vigilantly justice. Game wardens do what they can but we are WAY out in the country.

Comment

There is less poaching here than there was 40 years ago in our area. When I went to work there were 18 deer lying in fields along a 15 mile stretch of country road in one area of the country that had been spotlighted not counting deer in fields in other parts of the county. My partner and I worked the area 7 nights a week for over 4 months but caught the people killing the deer. That stopped the problem in that area. Then we moved to other areas. There wasn't any such thing as overtime pay but back then we cared enough to stop the problem. Over the years we put 100's of people in jail for spotlighting deer and killing illegal deer. The officers tell me today there are very few complaints of illegal deer kills and finding a illegally killed deer in a field that has been spotlighted is rare. Proof that aggressive law enforcement will work. I might add that I had a tremendous base of local people for contacts that helped me out and without them I couldn't have gotten the job done. So if there is doubt in your mind that your complaint does any good don't think twice it helps greatly. The officers have too much area to patrol they can't do it alone. I had 472 square miles to patrol.

Comment

I know in my area a lot of deer are taken without tags, either deliberately or mistake kills(killing bucks that don't meet antler restrictions) that are never reported. I've never really heard of people killing small game out of season other than shooting rabbits out of their garden or squirrels off bird feeders.

Comment

It definitely happens in my area, same families year after year. Game wardens know about them, but they haven't been busted in years. They do eat the deer, but don't financially need to. It's frustrating, but a common reoccurrence that goes virtually unpunished. They are pretty bold about bragging it around town also.

Comment

it happens, or at least did happen a lot around me. where i hunted there were several abandoned gravel pits that encompassed hundreds of acres. deer will go in and bed up in the pits once the shooting starts. i used to see guys being dropped off by the road and running in them in full camo during deer season. last year the company that owned the pits hired security to patrol and call the police when they saw someone trespassing. the problem is now non-existent. have never in all my hunting all over MI ever seen a game warden.

Comment

There is more Deer Poaching Now then ever in North Fl. do to the lack of JOBs, Times are Hard up there,The Game Wardens are on the know! I think and turn a blind-eye, but there is NO season on HOGs on private land, there is a season for Hogs on State land???We are seeing more Cattle Rustling Now then 1942 WWII.

Comment

There is Deer Poaching in our area but most the time people take into their hands more than the Game Warden. Most of the time isn't the warden has to see them poaching.

Comment

KS Poaching Story that beats anything out there-

3-4 years ago, a man and his brother shot at a flock of Geese Decoys. With a f***in rifle from over 200 yards from the inside of their truck. The man missed the decoys and killed a 19 year old College classmate of mine (I didn't know him personally though). They claimed they were shooting at a coyote.

Not positive how the case turned out, but fast forward 2 years and the brother (present for the manslaughter, but not the shooter) gets busted for poaching a KS state record buck. The story was huge about he landed this giant, but then it was found on another family's trail cams and he had taken the deer 100 miles away and claimed it.

Killed a 19 year old hunter by poaching/negligence, and still didn't learn his lesson. Robbed a couple hunters that had been stalking and holding this state record for 2-3 years of their chance at history. And then had the balls to haul the deer away and claim it for himself.

Comment

We had a biologist and a warden from AZ G&F speak at a predator hunting club event a couple years ago. After their presentations, there was a general Q&A session, and the poaching subject came up. According to AZ calculations, almost 2/3 of big game animals harvested in Arizona are taken by poachers. The big two are deer and elk. They said the primary reason is the meat, for personal consumption and even some for sale to businesses that grind with beef and sell as hamburger, mostly in rural areas, and especially around our numerous and huge reservations, where state investigations and prosecutions are next to impossible. On a smaller scale by animal numbers, but huge in $$$$, is what AZ describes as "organized crime" in poaching trophy elk and mule deer from the Kaibab Plateau, the Arizona Strip and a couple other areas close to I-40 west of Flagstaff. They have busted numerous individuals who have paid 6-figures for these illegal hunts, which harvest mulies in the 30-inch range and bulls with 400+ spreads. Yet it continues, they said.

Comment

There's hardly a hunter alive that hasn't broken a game law of some sort. When I worked at Gander Mountain in the firearms department, you would be amazed at the things people would openly confess to me that they did, and they knew it was against the law (baiting, taking game out of season, taking game with rifles during primitive weapons seasons, etc.) It's like they confessed just to get it off their conscience...perhaps by seeking approval by another hunter.

Also, it's easy to say report it when you see it when the offender is not somebody you are close to, but chances are the offenders most hunters encounter are close friends or relatives. Or perhaps the offender is a novice and does not yet know the error of their ways.

As far as wildlife agencies...there is not enough wildlife law enforcement to keep up with all of the poaching that occurs. They do a good job at catching the chronic offenders, but catching the "sometimes" or "unknowing" offenders is nearly impossible unless they openly announce it (which seems to happen quite frequently on this website).

For example, there's a young hunter on here that clearly killed a fox out of season. He's a novice hunter, and probably doesn't realize his error. Should he be punished like a habitual offender? Of course not, but he should be properly informed that he made a blatant mistake and should review the game laws.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad