Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will other animals eat a dead whitetail that may have died form EHD? Found one that has not been touched. Does any other animal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will other animals eat a dead whitetail that may have died form EHD? Found one that has not been touched. Does any other animal

Will other animals eat a dead whitetail that may have died form EHD? Found one that has not been touched. Does any other animal get EHD?

The EHD virus does not do well outside of its living host. In all probability, once the body is dead beyond 24 hours, the virus ceases to survive. Savengers feeding on the carcus would not spread the disease.

Comment

Oh,forgot, deer, sheep, and antelope are the most affected by EHD. The midge fly is most likely to blame.

Comment

Coyotes will go to work on them even after a year. I really doubt you have found an EHD victim at this time of year! Can't really be warm enough for flies down there yet? Are you sure it's not something else that killed it? If it is EHD, contact the authorities immediately. They're still trying to solve the mystery of how the virus overwinters and your casualty may teach them something.

Comment

Here's a great site for info on EHD and how to identify casualties in the field.
          h.ttp://www.vet.uga.edu/scwds/pdfs/HD.pdf

Comment

Yes, other animals will eat a whitetail that died of EHD, but since they often die in the summer, the bodies decay quickly.

Comment

Ontario
              I looked at that page - very informative.

Comment

When EHD hit us two summers ago a local rancher got some great trail cam pics of a black bear pulling an EHD killed buck out of a water tank, he also got some good pics of a female mountain lion and cubs scavenging what was left.

Comment

Nothing can hurt turkey vultures or buzzards. They can eat dead animals with Rabies, EHD or Distemperment.

Comment

Distemperment? I think that's a disease that has infected too many of you characters over on the Backlash blog. And I'm not sure the vultures would touch any of you either. :-)

Comment

The only thing that I have heard that animals die of and other scavengers won't eat is when an animal is struck by lightening. I don't know if it is true I have just heard that all of my life.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad