Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you happy with your state fish and game agencies? Game limits? Seasons? Fees? What would you like to see changed? What stat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you happy with your state fish and game agencies? Game limits? Seasons? Fees? What would you like to see changed? What stat

Are you happy with your state fish and game agencies? Game limits? Seasons? Fees? What would you like to see changed? What state are you in?

I am in AZ. The game and fish dept seems to have adopted a policy of managing for the most hunters to be in the field. In 2007 where I bull elk hunt they issued 190 bull elk tags for the late November hunt. Last year it was up to 375. Thats just one unit and they continue to do the same all over the state.

Some simple ideas have been suggested multiple times but they only look at one thing it appears $$$$$$$$$$$.

Some ideas for them are.
    Lower license fees $56 is quite a bit for hunting and fishing license (family of 4x$56 ouch) Force hunters to skip one year of hunting once they have been drawn. Limit tags in almost every area of the state. Quit supporting the wolf releases in AZ. Stiffer penalties for poachers. Most of their crimes are class 3 or class 1 misdemeanors. The bonus points dont work eliminate it. If my 13 year old neighbor can get a sheep tag with 1 point and my friend cant with 15 points hard to explain that one. Manage for quality of animals more. Get rid of the electronic application process. If needed close certain areas for one year or drastically cut tags. Also I would suggest a few more game wardens. Currently where I live they have one warden covering an area approximately 45 miles by 10 miles square not an easy task.

But hey they dont seem to want to listen but its nice to complain and get it off my chest. Thanks.

Comment

I feel the non resident hunters who live out of a state get beat up with the license and permit fees. For a non resident to hunt elk in the Rocky Mountain States the hunting fees are just plan outrageous.

Comment

I'm pretty satisfied here in GA.

Comment

I have lived in NY state all of my soon to be 64 years. My answer is yes there is defiantly a need for rules and legislation. In my youth I fished salt water. At that time there were no size or catch limits. I could catch 16 to 18 inch flounder of the jetty at Gosmans dock. I caught my first 27 inch Stripped Bass of that same jetty. Then came foreign trawlers and a bunch of sport fisherman who didn't have an idea of what a big fish was. There was also a group of commercial fisherman that roamed the beach trailering a dory and a Seine net. In search of Stripped Bass they decimated the population. Needless to say you couldn't catch a decent fish while in my teens. It was only through laws and careful management that my Grandson can catch a fish like I did with his Great Grandfather.

Comment

Overall I don't mind the way PA conducts it's fish commissions and game commissions. I pay around $80/year to hunt. And about $35/year to fish and that doesn't bother me. I'm glad to pay it.
            I hear a lot of controversy over how the game comm. manages our deer herds and in some ways I agree and in others I disagree.
            The fish comm. is broke and because of that our fisheries are being effected. But in years past I always liked the way PA takes care of it's waters. I know people in the DEP (department of enviromental protection) and in the fish comm. And I am able to get things explained to me where otherwise I would disagree with whats going on.

Comment

I wish Ohio would raise the non-resident fee to hunt and fish. They are very cheap compared to other states.

Comment

I’m generally happy with the way things work here in Colo. Sometimes it seems our big-game licensing system is geared a little too much toward attracting out-of-state hunters. But … I also realize those non-resident licenses bring in a lot of money to fund our wildlife programs. A non-resident bull-elk tag this year costs $586, compared with $46 for a resident. That’s a tough pill to swallow for folks coming in from other states, but it provides benefits for resident sportsmen.

Comment

Hi...

Happy...?? No, I wouldn't say happy.

In some areas...trapping, for example...we're way behind the times here in NY.

Comment

Here in Idaho I'm happy with IDFG. I work with a lot of the biologists and CO's. Most are as frustrated with things as the sportsmen are. We all get frustrated with the loss of habitat and access. The real problems lie in Boise. And a huge Ag industry/lobby that is really resistant to change. Also the majority of Idaho is Federal land so we get a lot of stuff shoved down our throat without any real input (wolves, grizzly bears). All things considered I'm happy, I mean I could live in Rhode Island.

Comment

Happy...Yes! The only Game Animal I would like to see a season on are Black Bears and Foxes in Fl. As for W.M.Officers We have some of the Best....just saying

Comment

I am mostly happy with the PA Game Commission.The herd seems smaller but healthier than years ago. But they do a good job most of the time. The Wardens are professional and helpful. The Fish commission needs work but is doing the job for now. We are fortunate to have so much public land for an eastern state.

Comment

Like Bioguy, I'm very satisfied here in GA!

Comment

Another happy GA guy. Our wildlife management staff is great. There is always politics involved in what actully gets done but our guys do a great job. Lots of good hunting and fishing, reasonable prices and great wildlife.

I just applied for a Montana elk/deer combo license and it was over $1000. That is pretty heavy and if that continues, hunting in America will soon be the sport of kings. If states view wildlife management as a way to get more tax revenue rather than a way to preserve sportsmen/women, we will soon see the last of field and stream sports in America. Residents there seem to feel OK with plundering non-residents but I suspect that Montana politicians are learning that they could finance their campaigns with residents too. I kind of feel bad thinking of what it will be for our grandchildren.

Comment

Here in AZ it seems like something is getting better. A bill just passed the House and is moving to the Senate that will allow non-resident students attending college in AZ to purchase licenses and tags at resident cost. Seems like that's a pretty good place to start...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad