Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good bird dog for upland and waterfowl hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ab130656
    replied
    Thanks for all of the info I think I am going to get a labs soon and start training for the next season.

Leave a comment:

• Don Milosch
    replied
    Labs are great for all of the above reasons. We have been lcuky to get into a group of pointing labs, which is even better.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    Labs are great in colder weather and I love labs but in warmer weather I love Brits and Braque Francais. Im not sure if it is just because the dog I have been around or it's the breeds but the brit and 2 Braque's are the best dogs I have ever been around all are just as "birdie" as any GSP, setter, or lab I have ever been around but they are way calmer and listen way better than any GSP i have been around and can do all a lab can. The brit goes nuts wining and bounding around until she is allowed into the duck boat and the Braque's are in the water first when we get to the boat launch even if there is ice around some of the water. Ducks, Quail, Chucker,
    Pheasants, Geese, and Dove are what I hunt though so it is important to have a great all around dog for me.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Dakota, my younger lab will not break point if the bird doesn't move, no matter what I tell her. And Pearl won't dishonor her point either, no matter what I tell her. And of course the Britt is always rock solid if she can see the bird. Kind of frustrating but a bit funny actually. Hard to get mad at the dogs for doing too good a job. So nothing for it but get down in the crap and kick it out or just hang tough on the Mexican standoff till the bird blinks. That can get pretty hard on the nerves!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Forgot to mention... I don't consider a black lab to be a pointer but that never stops them from outproducing most pointers. They can be easily trained not to flush birds that hold tight. They just don't hold that statuesque three point stance while they do it.

Pointers are fun to watch on TV but in real life hunting pheasant hunting, I've seen little opportunity for them to point unless they are on pen-raised pheasants. Quail will scatter and then hold tight allowing a point. On them, the black lab holds upon discovery and then flushes them when told to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Ditto~~DakotaMan...+1
    I love Golden Labs they are the so Easy to train NOT like GSPs with a mind of there own, they take Too much training even with a good nose??? and there super high price Tag.
    Ps: GSPs don't do well in Fl. if water shy!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    A black lab will be hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I owned and hunted 3GSP's a Weimeraner and now a lab in PA for upland birds. GSP'S are my favorite but labs are better. They hunt in range better and are a ton less high strung on average. You may get a few less birds than with a pointer but I doubt it. Get good bloodlines, meaning hunting not show parentage either way. Its worth the time and money to own a quality hunting dog.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    If you all around the Lab is the way to go, GSP's are good upland dogs and will retrieve very well but hard to deal with in a blind. Short hair dogs don't fair well in very cold hunting situations with water retrieving.

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    I have found the lab the easiest to train, but i had to train mine in different spots. I would train her in the backyard, then one day moved to the front, she forgot everything till I took her back to the backyard. Now we practice in four different swamps, both yards, and a few upland fields.

My uncle has a wirehaired pointing griffon for grouse, I know he has taught it to retrieve, but i dont think he has ever hunted ducks with it. I am not sure how it would fair in cold water.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    A knucklehead that hunts near us sometimes has a hyper GSP that my Lab absolutely detests. He is out of control, breaks at every shot, goes after any bird down, and will not come when called off by said knucklehead.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    GSPs are NOT the dog for hunting out of a duck blind. For one thing they are usually way too restless for that sort of thing. And they just are not built for getting wet in cold weather. That will shorten their life span considerably.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    My vote goes to the German Shorthaired Pointer, with honorable mention to the pointing Labs.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Sitting in a duck blind is just basic obedience. Teach your pup to sit (reward with treat), then stay. This is easily taught at feeding time. Make the pup sit away from the dish till you have filled it. When the pup breaks, put it back in place and make it sit repeatedly until it gets the idea that the sooner it cooperates, the sooner it gets fed. That way the pup also learns the command to release it.

Flushing is something the lab comes by naturally. Work with keeping the dog in distance first. I don't use an e-collar for this and unless the dog is completely hard-headed - a rarity for labs - I don't think it's necessary. Spend time teaching the dog to return on command and that is usually as easily accomplished with treats or praise as it is with an e-collar.

It never ceases to amaze me how my dogs, even the little Britt, make the instantaneous adjustment from sitting and hiding with me in the hedgerows when field hunting for geese and then within days jump right into upland hunting in Montana. They seem to pick right up where they left off the previous year. But I think that has a lot to do with having them out in the fields for geese early in the season. During the slack periods between morning and afternoon flights I walk the dogs to check out several small dugouts and sloughs for ducks (and occasional goose). They are under control.

And above all, live with your dog. Don't tie it up in the yard or stick it in a kennel. The dog will become much more bonded to you and your way of thinking if it lives with you.

Leave a comment:

• ab130656
    replied
    So how would someone go about training a lab to flush birds but site in a duuck blind?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad