Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good bird dog for upland and waterfowl hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I owned and hunted 3GSP's a Weimeraner and now a lab in PA for upland birds. GSP'S are my favorite but labs are better. They hunt in range better and are a ton less high strung on average. You may get a few less birds than with a pointer but I doubt it. Get good bloodlines, meaning hunting not show parentage either way. Its worth the time and money to own a quality hunting dog.

Comment

A black lab will be hard to beat.

Comment

Ditto~~DakotaMan...+1
        I love Golden Labs they are the so Easy to train NOT like GSPs with a mind of there own, they take Too much training even with a good nose??? and there super high price Tag.
        Ps: GSPs don't do well in Fl. if water shy!

Comment

Forgot to mention... I don't consider a black lab to be a pointer but that never stops them from outproducing most pointers. They can be easily trained not to flush birds that hold tight. They just don't hold that statuesque three point stance while they do it.

Pointers are fun to watch on TV but in real life hunting pheasant hunting, I've seen little opportunity for them to point unless they are on pen-raised pheasants. Quail will scatter and then hold tight allowing a point. On them, the black lab holds upon discovery and then flushes them when told to do so.

Comment

Dakota, my younger lab will not break point if the bird doesn't move, no matter what I tell her. And Pearl won't dishonor her point either, no matter what I tell her. And of course the Britt is always rock solid if she can see the bird. Kind of frustrating but a bit funny actually. Hard to get mad at the dogs for doing too good a job. So nothing for it but get down in the crap and kick it out or just hang tough on the Mexican standoff till the bird blinks. That can get pretty hard on the nerves!

Comment

Labs are great in colder weather and I love labs but in warmer weather I love Brits and Braque Francais. Im not sure if it is just because the dog I have been around or it's the breeds but the brit and 2 Braque's are the best dogs I have ever been around all are just as "birdie" as any GSP, setter, or lab I have ever been around but they are way calmer and listen way better than any GSP i have been around and can do all a lab can. The brit goes nuts wining and bounding around until she is allowed into the duck boat and the Braque's are in the water first when we get to the boat launch even if there is ice around some of the water. Ducks, Quail, Chucker,
              Pheasants, Geese, and Dove are what I hunt though so it is important to have a great all around dog for me.

Comment

Labs are great for all of the above reasons. We have been lcuky to get into a group of pointing labs, which is even better.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info I think I am going to get a labs soon and start training for the next season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad