Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for the ballistic junkies out there. First off I would like to say im not very knowledgeable when it comes to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for the ballistic junkies out there. First off I would like to say im not very knowledgeable when it comes to

I have a question for the ballistic junkies out there. First off I would like to say im not very knowledgeable when it comes to ballistics. About a month ago I decided to go out and practice with my Ruger M77 chambered in 30-06. I notaced that at 50 yards I was dead on but at 100 I was getting simmilar groups but 3" higher. I know that bullets with smaller diamiters shoot flatter because they have less wind resistence and the larger ones tend to rise. But is it common for a 30-06 bullet to rise 3" in 50 yards. Also will this mean that my groups will be dead on at 150 or 200 instead of a little lower or will it be even higher at 150 or 200? Like I said Im not a huge ballistics guy. I pretty much take my 30-06 out of the safe around october shoot it a few times to make sure its on, shoot my buck with it then put it away till next year and pick my bow or shotgun back up.

Oh yes, Im shooting 150 grain remington core lokt.

Comment

If you hunt/shoot at longer ranges, zero at 200 yards. This will hit about 1 1/2 - 2' high at 100 and 6"- 8" low (which is still a killing lung shot) at 300 yards. If you hunt whitetail where 100 yards is a long shot zero for 100 yards and don't give trajectory another thought.

Comment

With the standard military spec velocity (2700+ fps currently marketed by Federal American Eagle for the M-1 shooters) the 150 grain zeroed at 25 yards will return to zero at 250 yards and would have a trajectory that would still keep it in the lungs over the 225 yards between zeros. Just another reason that the .30-06 is the perfect caliber.

Comment

Like Dave said you should be dead on at 25yds and about 1 1/2 inches high at 100yds. Something sounds off with your numbers. Sight in for 1 1/2 high at 100yds and you should be on at 250yds. The bullet trajectory crosses the line of sight at 25yds and again about 250yds. If you have some kind of unusual sight or scope set up that might change things. The standard scope mount is about 1 1/2 in above the bore.

Comment

The numbers are rough so don't read into them to much. I just wanted to make sure it's normal for the bullet to rise this much. It's zeroed at 50 yards so is that why my numbers could be off a bit.

Comment

this page has some pics that might help you understand what is occurring

www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/long-range-shooting/how-to-sight-in-a-hunting-rifle/

Comment

A 150g Core Lokt bullet going 2,900 fps should not be hitting three inches high at 100 yards if it is zeroed at 50 yards and the scope is approximately 1.5 inches above your barrel’s bore. Normal rise for that distance and that bullet is .3 inches; not 3 inches. Something is very wrong here!

The only thing that would cause your bullet to impact that high at 100 yards would be if your scope were to be mounted 4.11 inches above your barrel’s bore. The only other possibilities are: 1) you reloaded the bullets and slowed them down to 1,450 fps (22 LR velocities) or 2) you are consistently raising the barrel as you squeeze the trigger, elevating your shots from your point of aim. Both of these are unlikely, but possible. If your shot is 3 inches high at 100 yards, it would be zeroed for 325 yards.

If you lack a place to shoot longer ranges, a common rule of thumb for that 30-06 bullet is that if you are zeroed at 25 yards, you will be right on at 250 yards with a maximum rise of 3 inches occurring from 125-150 yards. I suggest zeroing your rifle right on at 200 yards though if you can. Then expect it to drop as follows:
                100 yards – 1.7” high
                200 yards – right on
                300 yards – drops 7.5”
                400 yards – drops 22 inches

FYI, smaller bullets in a given caliber typically have higher wind resistance than heavier spire pointed bullets for that caliber. The reason that they are flatter shooting than heavier bullets (at least out to about 500 yards) is that they have higher velocity and travel the distance much faster than the heavier bullets. Heavy long range bullets (often referred to as “very low drag” VLD bullets) start slower at the muzzle but since they retain their speed better, they end up travelling faster than the light bullets beyond about 500 yards. Think of the light bullets as throwing pepper into the wind versus throwing a rock into the wind. The pepper might start out real fast but the rock wins in the long run because it has higher mass and higher wind resistance and holds it’s velocity.

Comment

Bullets never rise from point of aim. Gravity always has an influence.

Comment

* point of aim of barrel

Comment

Dakotaman, My rifle is reletivly new (5 years old) and I havnt put a lot of rounds through it. Do you suppose this is just human error or do you think there could be something wrong with my rifle? I dont shoot rifles that often so it could easily be human error.

Comment

Newness of the rifle should not affect ballistics; I think it might be human error. DakotaMan's right; if I were you I would zero at 200 yards then you are good to 300 yards not that you would shoot that far at game.
                        NCarl,
                        I'm not good at ballistics either that's why I like flat shooting rifles. That way you don't have to bother with hold over or adjusting for wind. Just point and shoot within the MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range).

Comment

Ncarl, sorry but the most likely cause is human error. Physicas just doesn't allow a bullet that strikes a 50 yard target to rise three inches in the next 50 yards unless it is aimed there with a high scope or unless it is pulled there by the shooter.

Few scopes are mounted 4 inches high. However, many 30-06 shooters have a nasty flinch and don't know it. It hasn't prevented them from hitting a deer at 50 yards too often but it shows up clearly when they are shooting targets.

As Safado said, the age of the rifle has little to do with its ballistics unless the bore is burned out. Then it would be flinging bullets wildly in all directions. It is quite possible that you are flinching and causing the bullet to rise from your point of aim.

I suggest shooting over a very solid bench rest or sand bags that will hold the rifle firmly. Practice dry firing the rifle on that rest by putting the pad of your finger on the trigger and slowly pulling it straight back. Practice this until you are comfortable holding the cross hairs on the bullseye all the while through your trigger pull.

When you master keeping the cross hair from jumping as you squeeze the trigger, then start using live rounds to do the same thing. Have someone else load your chamber without you watching. Have them occassionally leave the rifle cocked but the chamber empty. Some shots will go bang, others will simply "click". This is good practice to smooth out your trigger pull. Concentrate on keeping those cross hairs on the bullseye all the way through the shot.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Dakotaman, thanks! That's a good idea especially with ammo the way it is these days. I'm also glad that its human error. I can work on fixing that for free.

Comment

Head bangs keyboard!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by franchi20
                                I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                                Today, 07:40 PM
                              • Debate #2: new rules
                                by FirstBubba
                                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to What's after Trump?
                                by franchi20
                                Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                                Today, 07:34 PM
                              • What's after Trump?
                                by FirstBubba
                                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by fitch270
                                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                                Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X