Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to put out salt licks in Pennsylvania. I am not sure, thought i heard this. But is it illegal to put them out in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal to put out salt licks in Pennsylvania. I am not sure, thought i heard this. But is it illegal to put them out in

Is it illegal to put out salt licks in Pennsylvania. I am not sure, thought i heard this. But is it illegal to put them out in front of game cameras? not hunting the salt lick, just for pictures?

JMO~~Go On-line and check your game laws for PA. Here in my state Fl. you can put-out salt licks and Corn any time of year, This is one of the Hunt over Bate State.

Comment

Pureshooter is correct. Pennsylvania has a no baiting law including salt licks. New Jersey had that same law on the books years ago but changed it. Check with the Pa. Fish and Game, they may allow you to bait with your trail camera during the off season. The law states no baiting while you’re hunting.

Comment

Seems like it would be lawed against given you have it out all year long, then throw it in the back of your rig for opening day.

Comment

CL3 is correct. Salt licks and feeding stations can spread disease. If you must do it spread the feed around to reduce the risk of disease as much a possible. Instead of a block maybe just spread salt around on the ground.

Comment

Sorry *i* Bait.

Comment

Cl3 is correct. and while there has been CWD discovered in the keystone state, it is only in a specific region with one deer. I personally do not believe that should stop you from putting out a salt rock. Your choice.
              -Jack

Comment

Straight from the Pennsylvania Game Commission Hunter's field manual.....

Baiting is allowed in the Southeast Special Regulations Area by
                permit only. Elsewhere in the state, it is unlawful to hunt in or
                around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain,
                fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are
                used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement
                to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity. Hunters
                are responsible for ensuring that the hunting area has not been
                baited before they begin hunting. They should physically inspect the
                area and question landowners, guides and caretakers. This section
                does not pertain to hunting near areas where accepted farming or
                habitat-management practices are taking place (example: hunting
                near food plots on game lands is legal). Any natural or manmade
                nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

Comment

Straight from the Pa Game Commission Hunter / Trapper Digest.....
                  What makes this law real sketchy it doesn't define how far you have to be from anything that could be considered "bait" to lawfully hunt.....just says you cannot do it "on or near". It is legal to plant food plots or corn and hunt directly over the crop, you just cannot spread it on the ground where it is not already growing, then hunt over it. Also, if you have a salt block or other mineral lick, or a feeder, and you do not remove any topsoil underneath which the bait product may have leached into, you can also be fined.......Leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and a lot of ground for an officer to find cause to cite you.....As long as you aren't hunting over it, you can put whatever you want out in front of your game camera.....

Baiting is allowed in the Southeast Special Regulations Area by
                  permit only. Elsewhere in the state, it is unlawful to hunt in or
                  around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain,
                  fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are
                  used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement
                  to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity. Hunters
                  are responsible for ensuring that the hunting area has not been
                  baited before they begin hunting. They should physically inspect the
                  area and question landowners, guides and caretakers. This section
                  does not pertain to hunting near areas where accepted farming or
                  habitat-management practices are taking place (example: hunting
                  near food plots on game lands is legal). Any natural or manmade
                  nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad