Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good beginning deer rifle. I'm new to hunting but go trap and skeet shooting. I have a 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for some suggestions for a good beginning deer rifle. I'm new to hunting but go trap and skeet shooting. I have a 30

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good beginning deer rifle. I'm new to hunting but go trap and skeet shooting. I have a 30/30 lever action. Just open to hear some other suggestion and wont break the bank.

It depends on what type of terrain you intend to hunt and how. CL3 offers good suggestions above. Nothing wrong with the .30-30 in the proper application, but there are better all around choices.

Comment

As long as your 30/30 isn't an old Winchester with out a safety stick with that. Get the Hornity Lever Revolutions for ammo and its a heck of a gun.

Comment

If you hunt in New York Pennsylvania or similar area you already have THE Deer rifle. IMHO

Comment

Hi...

The .30-30 has always been a very popular deer hunting gun...and still is.

My own personal preference for a deer rifle is the .308 lever-action Savage.

I don't know what you mean by a "beginning" deer rifle, as you already have one...!!

Good luck in the deer woods.

Comment

I'd stick with the 30-30 and use that money to buy a tree stand and/or other hunting equipment....like bullets (cause they're so expensive and rare to find now a days!!)

Comment

Beginning was the wrong word to use. Is it worth putting a scope on the 30/30?

Comment

30-30 is a great start. I started with my dad's iron sighted 30-30 then eventually got a newer Marlin and put a 3x9 scope on it. Anything 150 yrds or less hits the dust.

There are a lot of good gun guys here who can give you greater detail about most anything. But in my closing in on 20 years of hunting experience, I would have made a few suggestions on other calibers that you may want to take a look at www.deer30outdoors.com/caliber-selection-for-whitetail-deer/

Comment

If that 30-30 is a Marlin then it may benefit from a scope and one can be added easily. BTW the older Model 94 Winchesters were as safe as any other rifle if you knew what you were doing. The addition of the safety added nothing to that rifle in my opinion.

Comment

cl3, I hate that too. looks like there are a bunch of lights going on and off around the letters.

Comment

I don't want what you are smoking.

Comment

That 30/30 will do you well untill you decide you want to get more into it. If you already know that you want to stick with deer hunting the Ruger American rifle is a good gun for the price. Savage makes good rifles for the price as well. If you want to spend some money Reminton 700 is a classic. I have a ruger M77. Nice gun for the money. Walnut stock, blued barrel and came with scope rings all for $540. I topped it with a Nikon prostaff scope with BDC but I dont do much long range shooting so you could skipp on the BDC if you want to save some money.

Comment

If you mean you want to move from a lever action to a bolt action rifle, take a look at the new Remington 783. I saw an ad for it in a magazine and a picture of a 5 shot group that measured about .750 I do not know the price point but it should be competitive with others.

Comment

The venerable "thutty-thutty" has killed more deer and started more hunters than probably any other caliber out there. Properly applied within it's constraints, it's a deer killing machine!

Comment

got a .270 remington

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad