Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had trouble with bears getting into minerals put out for deer? We have bears in our area and I don't want to waste my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had trouble with bears getting into minerals put out for deer? We have bears in our area and I don't want to waste my

Has anyone had trouble with bears getting into minerals put out for deer? We have bears in our area and I don't want to waste my time or money putting out minerals if the bear are going to take them over. Any info is appreciated. (By the way, this may not be the best category for this question, but it didn't really fit into the other categories either.)

I have photos of bears at my mineral blocks but they aren't frequent visitors and don't take them over. Bears are food driven and there aren't any calories in salt. From the photos I have, they stop for a few minutes every few days or even weeks.

I think you'd be more likely to have bears if you use one of the mineral compounds that have a molasses or fruit attractant added. I'd stay away from these.

Comment

ronad6, I also put out a mineral block and food for the deer. I have raccoons, skunks, opossum, ground hogs, crows, bears, turkeys and a thousand squirrels that steal from my bait pile. There nothing you can do about it. Just put out extra feed. I set up a trail camera and enjoy the photos of all the different wildlife. I must have deleted a million squirrel photos.

Comment

bears are opportunists and always looking for up for a free meal especially tasty ones. They can be quite destructive and determined to get it too. Not much can be done in the way of prevention but be sure you secure your game camera or you may end up withh something like this www.deer30outdoors.com/bear-photo-gallery/

Comment

@ DEER30; saw those pics said Daniel's cam in southwest VA; that's where I am at as well.

Comment

I put out licks every lear. The bears aren't too bad(never had one hit my like more than once or twice a week) but squirrels and other rodent tend to hit them hard when looking for minerals.

Comment

If they are deficent in a certain mineral they will seek it out. Dont know if their is really anything you can do about it.

Comment

i use the brown trace mineral blocks. As mentioned above, over a month, I see a little of everything. Wolves, bears, pine martins, etc. But i see deer every single day and night. But that is a mineral block. The locals say that the flavored blocks, and the pressed food blocks will absolutly be carried away by a bear. Good Luck.

Comment

Deer30
                  Did you get some peanutbutter on your video camera ha ha ha
                  good pictures.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad