Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are you guys take on barnes bullets for deerand bear hunting with a 300 win mag at close and farther range out to 200 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are you guys take on barnes bullets for deerand bear hunting with a 300 win mag at close and farther range out to 200 yards

what are you guys take on barnes bullets for deerand bear hunting with a 300 win mag at close and farther range out to 200 yards. kind and how they worked for you thanks

At that range, a 30-06 or even 25-06 would do just fine.

What's the howitzer for?

The only reason they make magnums is so the Texans can feel pain and hear noise when they pull the trigger!"

Comment

Don't own a .300 Win Mag but they have proven deadly on deer in .243,.270, 45/70 and .50cal BP. I took my one and only bear with the 180gr MRX in .308. Can't imagine at the magnum velocities that they wouldn't be equally deadly. Almost universally accurate, they hold together on close range shots. I like 'em.

Comment

What chuckles said---I've only used the Barnes TTSX in 7mm-08 and could not wish for any better performance.

Comment

At the velocity of a .300 win mag at close range like 200yds, the solid barnes bullet might not expand much - especially on deer. I would go with something like a remington 180gr core-lokt. If you handload, i would find a load for the 180gr at around 2800fps. If you expect longer routine shots step it up to full speed again.

Comment

I use the Barnes TSX in several different calibers including the 300 Win Mag. All calibers shoot that bullet accurately and kill effectively. Have efficiently killed animals small and large, at close and long range. Actually have taken around 100 animals with that particular bullet. In the 300 Win Mag all three of my rifles seem to like the 180 grain bullet just fine.

Comment

Ditto to what Happy said. I use the 168 grain TTSX and 165 TSX in .30 calibers -- just my preference

Comment

I've used Barnes bullets since the mid '90s in my .308 and have never lost an animal shot with them.
                Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Have only used them in a 25-06 once and wasn't impressed.

Comment

With a .300 WIN at 200 yards you are killing a deer with hydrostatic shock not the wound channel so barnes work great. Also depending where you hit on a bear and the size of the bear you want a more solid bullet with controlled expansion. yes you can do it with a smaller caliber but if you shoot your .300 win well and like the gun, take it with you.

Comment

PUSS!

Comment

I owned a 300 Win Mag and shot the barrel out of it, rebarreled it and sold it, replaced it with a 25-06 and never regretted it.

Comment

I have had very good results using 165 and 180 grain Barnes bullets on hogs out of my 30-06. None of those shots have been over 100 yards and the Barnes bullets performed flawlessly. I do not worry about the Barnes bullets blowing up at close range. Some of the early Barnes "X" bullets showed signs of pressure when I handloaded them for my .240 Weatherby so I stopped using them for that rifle but I should probably try some of the new TSX and TTSXs.
                          Hey Coop,
                          Someone was looking for some input on 25-06 vs .257 Weatherby on the site in an earlier post.

Comment

Barnes bullets are some of the best hunting bullets available. They are quite accurate and they penetrate well. Most importantly, for high velocity cartridges like the .300 Win, they hold together all the way through the game rather than exploding like many lead core bullets. They ruin less meat and do all the damage that is required for a clean, quick kill. They will be all you want for the game you mentioned. Another great bullet for that cartridge is the Nosler Accubond.

Comment

If you think a Barnes TSX does not expand well at high velocities, you are just repeating someone else's nonsense and not relating personal experience. They expand fully at any velocity over about 1,800 fps or so and retain their mass for penetration opening up a wide would channel, not exploding like the cheap cup and core bullets. If you hit the vitals, it's backstrap time!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad