Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of cage hunts? I think they stink and it is unfair for the game to be fenced in. Anybody ever been on one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of cage hunts? I think they stink and it is unfair for the game to be fenced in. Anybody ever been on one

What do you guys think of cage hunts? I think they stink and it is unfair for the game to be fenced in. Anybody ever been on one of these hunts or knows someone who has hunted one.

When I lived in Texas, my veterinarian guided a canned hunt for a Siberian tiger. His client was a medical doctor from San Antonio. He videotaped the whole thing and did a voice-over that resulted in his conviction under the Endangered Species Act.
    He was fined $40,000. The footage of the actual hunt was shown on local TV, and it was revolting to watch.

Comment

I know a man who runs a game ranch in PA,it makes me sick! I don't see the point,deer and elk walk around a heated club house with colored tags in their ears so you know how much its going to cost.One client notice I didn't call him a hunter had his hopes on a certain buck that didn't show up,it was hiding behind a log!They walk the buck out to feed and the client killed it. One client wanted to shoot his buck on the trailer, John had to convince this man that wasn't going to be necessary.To me it would be like shooting my dog in the yard and calling myself a predator hunter.

Comment

Unfortunately I know one dum bass who did one once. He's a heck of a nice guy just wanted a hog hunt on a budget. Seems like a waste of money to me. I wouldn't even want to keep the antlers of anything I shot on a game ranch. Why? You accomplished absolutely nothing. Besides fenced deer hunting preserves have led to CWD in both Iowa and Missouri now. And the preserve owners got off easy cause they were in close with the governor.

Comment

A Caned Hunt is not for me! you can't eat the Horns, besides we have Tons of Deer in Fl.

Comment

To me its a step (big step) lower than hunting over a corn feeder on a timer and calling yourself a hunter.

Comment

My friends are either hunters that believe in fair chase, or non-hunters that understand why we hunt. I guess there are some people that feel the trophy is the most important thing. I prefer the hunt, over the kill.

Comment

The fence Idea would be great if it were made to keep unsportsmanlike idiots out and away from the animals, but calling that hunting is like calling Obama a shooter. It just ain't the case!

Comment

The closest thing I have seen to a canned hunt [I did not take part] took place on Fire Island NY. There are indiginous Deer on this barrier island. It is seasonaly inhabited 3-4 months out of the year and is a petting zoo. There is a winter die off due to a lack of food. A culling of the herd was proposed. The choice of weapons was a problem due to the housing and proximity to the main land. They finally settled on Bows. Then PETA got involved. Picture the final story. PETA banging pots and pans to scare the Deer. Deer being so hungry the rushed the hunters for food. Hunters could not use their Bows because the Deer where within 5-10 feet. The most human method of "hunting" [IMHO] would have boiled down to a sharp knife and a handful of peanuts. A situation that became the road to Hell paved with good intentions.

Comment

Carl, that sounds pathetic at best.

Comment

To each their own. I hunt released pheasants and don't see a problem with hunting them.

As for fenced opperations in Ohio they will becoming to a close soon. Recently they passed a law requiring high fenced opperations whether for hunting or anything else to have each deer test every year, the cost of the test is $200+. I know of one operation that has already closed, that made deer urine attractants. 400 deer(I think that was the number) were put down and given to SAH to feed the hungry.

As a side note to this. It was determined a .223 is more than enough to drop a deer in it's tracks with a shot to the boiler room at 100yds. Frangible bullets being even better. This was determined by a trained SWAT Sniper that I know! He also stated an AR15 is a great deer hunting gun.

Comment

The words "high fence" and "cage" do not belong with the word hunting! I hear of people going on these pheasant/duck shoots, where they let the bird out of a cage and when it flies over they shoot it. That in no way is or should be considered hunting. Hunting is being able to locate the animal you wish to harvest, set up, and hopefully kill it if things work out right! Hunting is not paying to have some birds let out of a cage, or paying to shoot a "trophy" animal that's locked in a fence.

Comment

Ga hunter - The words "high fence" and "canned hunts" do not necessarily mean the same thing. There are some enormous high-fenced ranches in Texas, with several ranches being larger than the state of Rhode Island.
                          The fences are needed to keep the expensive exotic wildlife from wandering off into places they are not wanted. They also serve to keep poachers from wandering in.

Comment

99E, thank you for letting me know!

Comment

WAM you have no idea. If it was a TV show no one would believe it. If you went on the beach in February - March you would see how ancient man came up with dried out Deer Jerky. A waste of food and a crime against nature.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad