Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On average, how long would you say it takes to call in a fox or coyote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On average, how long would you say it takes to call in a fox or coyote?

On average, how long would you say it takes to call in a fox or coyote?

From seconds to half an hour. I was sitting in a deer blind when a 'yote appeared out of muzzle loader range. I had no calls so "squeaked'" some on the back of my hand. It was 45 minutes later before he came within about 20 yards. Bad mistake!

Comment

I've had them come in within two minutes of a set and I've coaxed them in for nearly an hour. Our baseline set averages between 15 and 20 minutes, we run longer if we see one at range and will change call sequences to try and get it into a feasible rifle range. Of course we hunt the prairies of eastern Montana so on many instances we can see them a mile away with binos.

Comment

one time for me it took 5 minutes, another it took about 2 hours. it all depends.

Comment

sometimes not long, sometimes it takes them awhile. but i dont sit on any one stand for more then 30 minutes.

Comment

I stay about 1/2 hour before moving on.

Comment

I typically will change locations if one doesn't come in within 45 minutes.

Comment

I'll go with the 45 minute rule. I have had them come running at the first squeal, and I have had some wily old dogs sneak and sulk around for 30 minutes or more. Should one ever throw up his head and leave the county, give up and move, you have been busted!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Usually you see them approaching on the run within seconds but it pays to wait. This year, the longest holdout came in after 45 minutes of continuous calling. I called a fox last year for about a half hour and gave up. My brother drove out to pick me up and as we pulled onto the road, a fox was coming down the middle of the road in hot pursuit of whatever was making the noise.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad