Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad made deer burger sliders yeaterday for supper. They were absolutely deliscious. He mixed the venison with a little hambur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad made deer burger sliders yeaterday for supper. They were absolutely deliscious. He mixed the venison with a little hambur

My dad made deer burger sliders yeaterday for supper. They were absolutely deliscious. He mixed the venison with a little hamburger, put a few splashes of Dale's sauce on them and put them on a charcoal grill with a dash of Tony's Cajun spice on top. I topped mine with a squirt of ketchup and mustard and a slice of onion on a grill-toasted roll as a bun. Now my mother Claims she does not like deer meat at all and told dad to make hers with just hamburger. This got me thinking about how dad would make spaghetti and just use deer meat, unknown to mama, and she would eat it just fine. Has anyone else encountered similar situations? How does one get a family member to try wild game?

Yeah some people think it's weird to eat wild game or something you killed and butchered yourself, nobody in my family has a problem and personally I'd rather eat someting I killed than hamburger from the store.

Comment

My father tricked me into eating venison when I was a youngster by telling me it was Steak-Umms. Of course I haven't looked back since. I find if you use it in a sauce or meatloaf, people are more willing to try it than a roast or steak. I would never not tell someone if there was venison or wild game meat in a dish. I respect their wishes if they choose not to try it.

Comment

I started my two sons on wild game food by making it for supper and not saying any thing at all, and when they asked for more, just give it to them. Now if some one said they don't like W/game tell/them.

Comment

My mom swears that she doesn't like venison because of how much she had to eat growing up with my grandpa. He was a great hunter and they were poor so venison fed the family. However, she says the burgers I make on the grill taste really good. I hadn't told her until last summer, when she asked, that it was venison.

Comment

My chilli has venison in it. I use the steak and cut it in small cubes. When i do not tell others what is in it until after the meal, they all agree it is delicious - even the anti-hunters.

Comment

My sister has always claimed she doesn't like wild meat. When we were younger my mother made a large bowl of chili. My sister ate it and even went back for seconds. She went on and on about how good it was. My mother then told her it was made from deer burger. She immediately ran to the bathroom sick. Eating wild meat is psychological for some people. My sister has always supported hunting and thankfully even married a hunter. She is slowly starting to aquire a taste for wild game but she's still not crazy about it.

Comment

When I was younger and living at home, my mother made venison and other wild game never told anybody. Meat loaf, meatballs, stew meat, steaks, burgers, lasagna, and other meals were venison, elk, bear or wild boar. Mom's six sons kept the two freezers packed with wild game all the time. My grandmother, my Brother's wife, relatives and friends eating over, stated they wouldn't eat any wild game. My mother never said a word, and they were licking their fingers after dinner. My three cousins who were young girls ate frog legs, and they said the chicken was fantastic. It’s all in the mind.

Comment

I was cooking bear burgers during lunch hour out on the loading dock, at the college where I worked. The woman leader of the AFT teachers union stopped by and I asked her if she wanted a burger. She ate two bear burgers and I never said a word. She never asked so why tell her. Silence is golden. I did tell her months later and she said that bear was fantastic.

Comment

I have Tried Swamp Chicken(Fog Legs)Many times, cooked many ways and cant get a liking on them No-How, but I can eat me a pile of Gator-bits.I guess its mind over matter.

Comment

Personally, I would never trick someone into eating wild game or not tell them ahead of time. It's an honesty thing and it's a person's choice to try it or not. I personally wouldn't want to be tricked into eating something. I wouldn't do it to someone else.

I've tried and like just about every wild game from venison to beaver to raccoon to muskrat to ground hog and cooked correctly, it's all good. But even though I've tried it half a dozen times, I can't enjoy bear. I can't hunt them either. It's a mental thing. I've had a Black Lab in my house since I was three. I think I'm imprinted to see Black Lab when I see bear. Using that example, I figure to each their own and hey, it's more for me if they won't eat it.

Comment

I agree with those who would not trick another person into eating something like wild game or horsemeat. Remember the golden rule, and do unto others...
                        "Mystery meat" falls into the same category.

Comment

I thought you were talking about my family for a second.

Comment

My side of the family it doesn't bother, for the most part, now my wifes side except me and another outlaw would role in their graves if they new they were eating wild game. My wife for the 1st 10 yrs we dated (we are junior high sweethearts!) she never would eat red meat now everyone else did but she didn't. Not until after we got married and she got pregnant did she have any desire to eat red meat thats when she tried venison and now she cooks it in some dish at least 3 times a week. Her family still can't believe she eats it! Little do they know they eat it quite often along with other wild game. I adhere to the former military policy of "Don't Ask Don't Tell"! The funny thing is no one in my family hunted when I grew up, I was more a animal lover than a hunter growing up. I watched Marty Stouffer religiously growing up but also watched hunting shows with Jackie Bushman, Bill Jordan, and a few other hunters. I didn't get my start hunting until I was 20 and haven't looked back since.

Comment

I wouldn't say that I am tricking anyone. You know if you are eating at my house there is a good chance the meat came from the wild wild woods. I can only think of one person that comes to my house for a meal with any regularity that is anit hunting, but he is not anti venison. He will he anything you put infront of him. He just doesn't want to do the "dirty work". My wife was never a big venison fan, but lately she would rather eat deer than store bought beef.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X