Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bbq smoked a venison hindquarter a couple weeks ago. I marinate the roast in a cheap red wine for 24 hours and use F&S dry rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bbq smoked a venison hindquarter a couple weeks ago. I marinate the roast in a cheap red wine for 24 hours and use F&S dry rub

I bbq smoked a venison hindquarter a couple weeks ago. I marinate the roast in a cheap red wine for 24 hours and use F&S; dry rub for 6 hours. This goes onto a foil lined aluminum baking pan and 2 hours in the smoker using several pecan logs that have burning for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs and have turned to carbon/bbq sauce brushed onto the dry rub at the start and cover it with bacon strips after 1 hour to keep it moist. Two hours is long enough for a good smoke but does not completely cook the meat. Put in 350F oven for another 45 minutes to 1 hour for the grande finale. The middle will be pink and cooked. I then transfer this roast and drippings to a glass covered dish and put it into the refrigerator. Slice off pieces for sandwiches, venison pot pie, etc. FINALLY MY QUESTION: After getting this roast out, I was doing some slicing and found a gland in the middle of the hindquarter roast. It was the typical quarter size gob and from a one and a half year buck. I have never found this gland before in the ham and consequently had to cut out just a little around the meat. Let this be a caution to fellow hunter/butchers to watch for this gland when you debone because you will have to cut out a golf ball size of meat after cooking. Has anyone ever found this gland in a deer ham? Cheers!

Sounds like a fatty tumor. Not uncommon. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

Im with OH, It was probably hard and white Almost perfectly round fat deposit. They do turn up in what seems like weird places, but other than picking out the ones that I see, i dont worry about them a bit.

Comment

This was an actual grey gland about the size of the first joint of your finger. I thought it was strangely out of place - may have just been a freak gland, since I always cut them out of the "elbows and knees". When I sliced it and smelled it, it was what it was.

Comment

Probably tasty

Comment

Probably not...

Comment

Or should I say, The food sounds awesome, the gland is probably not so tasty

Comment

The stuff you find in the elbows and knees is cartilage, not "glands." These fatty tumors can be various colored, from grayish to white to yellow, and sometimes may have a bit of an odor. Again, nothing to worry about.

Comment

The fatty tumors are found right in the muscle tissue.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad