Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the past, I've seen pictures in rural newspapers of local five-year-old boys alongside the carcasses of deer they reportedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    jhjimbo; Well said. Well said.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    My Grandson knows and participates in calves and lambs being born and cows and hogs being killed for meat. I think that gives them a better perspective about life and death than someone who dosen't participate in those activities.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I think the child needs to understand the meaning of taking a deer or whatever. I don't think all the laughing and cheering on the sporting videos on TV set when a animal is killed are a good example for youngsters. It is almost like it is some kind of game.
    When i take an animal i have a silent moment to thank the big guy for the fine animal. That's just me.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    I'm certainly in the minority when I say this but I believe a child can be too young to squeze the trigger on a live animal. It is serious business when taking a life of a animal and I don't think a 3 year old, 6 year old or even a 9 year old has the mental capability to process the seriousness. I grew up following my dad squirrel and rabbit hunting when I was young but was not allowed to handle a firearm in the field until I was 12. I did shoot at targets at a younger age. I also think a child should go thru a hunter safety course prior to hitting the field and that certainnly takes a level of maturity. Parents should obviously be right next to the child for instruction. As a father of 2 boys, I know about the itch to get sons involved in a sport that you love but I think its also important that a child can comprehend that pulling a trigger on live game is not a video game that you can hit the Reset button on.

Leave a comment:

• ALJoe
    replied
    I began tagging along when I was four. I killed two when I was six. My father most definately was with me but I aimed the gun and pulled the trigger by myself. Is there reason to doubt it? Sure. Could it have happened? Sure. Either way it is one more young man introduced to hunting.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    My youngest Brother Joe shot a doe with a bow and arrow at the age of thirteen. He was the youngest to bag a deer at that age, within my family relatives and friends. I was so proud of him!
    I also agree was Rocky, an older member of his family probably shot it, and gave the little guy the recognition in the newspaper. The newspaper may not have printed the deer photo if it were the older adult.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry A.
    replied
    Do I think most three year old are capable of holding a rifle steady, aiming, and squeezing a trigger for an accurate shot? No I don't. Most likely the adult did most of the work. Do I think it really hurts anything? Not as long as everything is safe and the animal is killed cleanly.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    JMO~~ Its all about The Great Outdoors, A Three year old dropping the hammer on a Deer?? They were out Hunting having a good time, Building or Bounding a trust
    and a love of Hunting,Fishing,Camping.Just think how many Kids DON'T have this Chance and never will!

Leave a comment:

• bruisedsausage
    replied
    Have to be 12 yrs old to hunt big game here. So that's when I started. Although I did tag along with my old man as a youngster.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Party hunting in most states is illegal, i take a pretty dim view of the practice.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I personally think it is a practical joke that has gotten out of hand.

Leave a comment:

• 1ojolsen
    replied
    Great memories for both, as long as the 3 yr old remembers it.

Leave a comment:

• wild rice
    replied
    This is the very heart of the matter, and to me, very honestly, the great thing about our country, America the Beautiful. Deer hunting with your father, grandfather, uncle, cousin or aunt for that matter is about being in the outdoors, the chase for wild game and enjoying it at the table with loved ones. I have talked with immigrants here in the US that have never experienced this outdoor sport. When you share with them about hunting, it is like you are from Mars...they have no concept whatsoever. Why? Because in their country, for the common citizen, guns are illegal to possess-only the police, military and criminals are gunowners. The poor, poor third world dominated by corrupt politicians. Oh that we may never descend to their level and may our Constitution forever be held in the highest regard for life, liberty and pursuit of happiness...principles for life based on something almost forgotten these days, the Scriptures.
    And about that little 3 year old, who can judge but that the picture in the local paper will be memories for him when he is old and showing his grandson about the great outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    You said it, Sarge, "kids are different". I still think three, four and five years are too young.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    My grandson killed his first deer when he was six and his dad didn't hold the gun and let him pull the trigger, he did it all himself. He is 12 now and has killed 4 bucks and 5 does with his rifle and 2 does with his bow. He would rather hunt than eat when he is hungry. I am extremely proud of him and the way he hunts. I gave him a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 that he uses now. The first deer that he killed were with a CVA Elite .243. Kids are different.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Burgers, what’s on yours?
    by FirstBubba
    The thing that bothers me is when they purposely serve way more than any normal person can eat.
    In Amarillo, TX, the "Big Tex Steakhouse"...
    Today, 03:00 PM
  • Burgers, what’s on yours?
    by fitch270
    The wife and kids have youth group tonight so dinner was venison burgers done quick on the grill. I’m a big fan of hamburgers in general but typically...
    Yesterday, 06:45 PM
  • Reply to Treason or a traitor?
    by 99explorer
    Do you think that Trump might show up wearing a fur hat with horns on it?
    No way! He'll be glued to his TV set with his diet coke and potato chips...
    Today, 02:34 PM
  • Treason or a traitor?
    by FirstBubba
    Gen. Mark A. Milley, in the last days of the Trump administration, told his Chinese counterpart that he would call the Chinese ahead of time if Trump...
    09-14-2021, 03:51 PM
  • Reply to Steelhead: West or East
    by fitch270
    My cousin got back from the Alaska trip I was invited on. Haven’t spoke with him yet but his wife told my wife he brought back so much salmon and cod...
    Today, 02:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X