Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the past, I've seen pictures in rural newspapers of local five-year-old boys alongside the carcasses of deer they reportedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm certainly in the minority when I say this but I believe a child can be too young to squeze the trigger on a live animal. It is serious business when taking a life of a animal and I don't think a 3 year old, 6 year old or even a 9 year old has the mental capability to process the seriousness. I grew up following my dad squirrel and rabbit hunting when I was young but was not allowed to handle a firearm in the field until I was 12. I did shoot at targets at a younger age. I also think a child should go thru a hunter safety course prior to hitting the field and that certainnly takes a level of maturity. Parents should obviously be right next to the child for instruction. As a father of 2 boys, I know about the itch to get sons involved in a sport that you love but I think its also important that a child can comprehend that pulling a trigger on live game is not a video game that you can hit the Reset button on.

Comment

I think the child needs to understand the meaning of taking a deer or whatever. I don't think all the laughing and cheering on the sporting videos on TV set when a animal is killed are a good example for youngsters. It is almost like it is some kind of game.
      When i take an animal i have a silent moment to thank the big guy for the fine animal. That's just me.

Comment

My Grandson knows and participates in calves and lambs being born and cows and hogs being killed for meat. I think that gives them a better perspective about life and death than someone who dosen't participate in those activities.

Comment

jhjimbo; Well said. Well said.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad