Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the past, I've seen pictures in rural newspapers of local five-year-old boys alongside the carcasses of deer they reportedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the past, I've seen pictures in rural newspapers of local five-year-old boys alongside the carcasses of deer they reportedly

In the past, I've seen pictures in rural newspapers of local five-year-old boys alongside the carcasses of deer they reportedly killed during the deer season. Color me doubtful. But yesterday takes the cake. There was a picture of a THREE-YEAR-OLD BOY with the carcass of a deer. The caption read "Three-year old...(boy's name) took this nice doe on his very first hunt with his papa on Nov. 17, 2012 in (name) county." The boy could not have weighed more than 30 pounds. I don't believe it. Do you?

Does it matter? The kids dad or grandpa got the kids picture in the paper for a deer the old man shot. And that kid will remember that feeling of pride forever. You want to get kids into outdoor sports. In my opinion, that how.

Comment

It may well have been that Pop aimed the gun and Jr. reached in and pulled the trigger---"They" got the deer. I've always been a little dubious about really young kids killing game because they really can't grasp the concept of actually taking a life and the responsibility that goes with it. Parents should give this serious consideration before letting a youngster kill an animal as a stunt just so they can say their child got his first groark, or whatever, while he was still in diapers. IMNSHO

Comment

It doesn't hurt anything and if it does the people taking him hunting will be the ones with the (unlikely) problems of taking a kid too young. When I was young in PA turning twelve and hunting was a right of passage. It was a real milestone towards manhood. It should have stayed that way but it hasn't. I do not believe it increases the retention rate later in life to take them out younger than ten, but its a family decision.

Comment

My grandson killed his first deer when he was six and his dad didn't hold the gun and let him pull the trigger, he did it all himself. He is 12 now and has killed 4 bucks and 5 does with his rifle and 2 does with his bow. He would rather hunt than eat when he is hungry. I am extremely proud of him and the way he hunts. I gave him a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 that he uses now. The first deer that he killed were with a CVA Elite .243. Kids are different.

Comment

You said it, Sarge, "kids are different". I still think three, four and five years are too young.

Comment

This is the very heart of the matter, and to me, very honestly, the great thing about our country, America the Beautiful. Deer hunting with your father, grandfather, uncle, cousin or aunt for that matter is about being in the outdoors, the chase for wild game and enjoying it at the table with loved ones. I have talked with immigrants here in the US that have never experienced this outdoor sport. When you share with them about hunting, it is like you are from Mars...they have no concept whatsoever. Why? Because in their country, for the common citizen, guns are illegal to possess-only the police, military and criminals are gunowners. The poor, poor third world dominated by corrupt politicians. Oh that we may never descend to their level and may our Constitution forever be held in the highest regard for life, liberty and pursuit of happiness...principles for life based on something almost forgotten these days, the Scriptures.
              And about that little 3 year old, who can judge but that the picture in the local paper will be memories for him when he is old and showing his grandson about the great outdoors.

Comment

Great memories for both, as long as the 3 yr old remembers it.

Comment

I personally think it is a practical joke that has gotten out of hand.

Comment

Party hunting in most states is illegal, i take a pretty dim view of the practice.

Comment

Have to be 12 yrs old to hunt big game here. So that's when I started. Although I did tag along with my old man as a youngster.

Comment

JMO~~ Its all about The Great Outdoors, A Three year old dropping the hammer on a Deer?? They were out Hunting having a good time, Building or Bounding a trust
                        and a love of Hunting,Fishing,Camping.Just think how many Kids DON'T have this Chance and never will!

Comment

Do I think most three year old are capable of holding a rifle steady, aiming, and squeezing a trigger for an accurate shot? No I don't. Most likely the adult did most of the work. Do I think it really hurts anything? Not as long as everything is safe and the animal is killed cleanly.

Comment

My youngest Brother Joe shot a doe with a bow and arrow at the age of thirteen. He was the youngest to bag a deer at that age, within my family relatives and friends. I was so proud of him!
                            I also agree was Rocky, an older member of his family probably shot it, and gave the little guy the recognition in the newspaper. The newspaper may not have printed the deer photo if it were the older adult.

Comment

I began tagging along when I was four. I killed two when I was six. My father most definately was with me but I aimed the gun and pulled the trigger by myself. Is there reason to doubt it? Sure. Could it have happened? Sure. Either way it is one more young man introduced to hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by FirstBubba
                                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                                Today, 01:12 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                                He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                                Today, 01:11 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X