No announcement yet.

how do you guys feel about the winchester ballistic silvertip for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys feel about the winchester ballistic silvertip for deer hunting

how do you guys feel about the winchester ballistic silvertip for deer hunting

95 gr. 243 win. devastating and accurate in my sons ruger 77.

Comment

Super accurate. in 30.06 180G. But tends to pass through on lung shots. I am thinking of changing to BARNES.

Comment

It kills 'em.

Comment

rocky squirrel when you get the pass throughs were you getting good blood trails

Comment

I shot them out of my 270 short mag. I on two occasions hit bone on whitetails and boy did it make a mess. I guess thats probably my fault for shooting at bone though right? I dont shoot them anymore. Country road is right though. They kill em dead.

Comment

A friend of mine loves them in his .243

Comment

I have used them in my 25-06 for a few years now on mule and whitetail deer as well as pronghorn antelope, I would highly recommend them, they shoot under 1 MOA for me and every animal that me and my wife has shot with them dropped in sight, no worries if they wouldn't have though cause they leave plenty of blood to follow.

Comment

I have used them(243/95Gr) in the past with lots of meat damage One-Shot Stops, I switch to 80GrRem K/Lok
                  with less Damage and still One-Shot Stop on White Tails.

Comment

Tree, you're right about the meat damage. I've found that the Barnes TTSX is the best of both worlds, with quick expansion, but not so much meat spoiled---wonderful blood trail.

Comment

This has been my preferred round. They have always worked well for me. The only instances where I've had a problem were very close range shots, where I missed hitting any bone and the bullet didn't have much of a chance to expand. In both instances, the deer expired very quickly.

Comment

Cody; not so much. Hole about the of a quarter on exit.

Comment

Very accurate out of my .25-06. Kills deer RND.

Comment

If you like spending extra money on a critter that doesn't have Ballistic Proof Fur!

Comment

Horrible. Just got back from the range with my .270 win and shot around 14 of these. 4 failures to fire. Each had been struck by the firing pin 3 times before being discarded just to make sure. The ones that did fire worked well and flew true. For the price, I prefer Browning BXR, of which I have had 0 issues and tighter groups (+4 grains more to the bullet). I've had better experience with Remington, Hornady, Browning, Federal, Sellier & Bellot, and Fiocchi in terms of reliability. I have 1500+ through this gun with the only hiccup being Winchester ammo and the occasional Remington, which fired after be struck by the firing pin the second time. I wouldn't care too much if I didn't pay as much as similar higher quality cartridges.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by fitch270
                                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                                Today, 07:01 PM
                              • So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by Milldawg
                                With my hectic schedule between work and owning and operating another business now. My shooting and hunting for this year have been shelved. So I am going...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 AM
                              • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by 99explorer
                                Rumor has it that Trump will be bringing a bullhorn to the final debate tonight in Nashville, so he will not have to depend on an open microphone to be...
                                Today, 06:49 PM
                              • Debate #2: new rules
                                by FirstBubba
                                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by 99explorer
                                I just checked and there are currently 49 users online at the Outdoor Life site.
                                But no political topics in the "Other" forum.
                                We
                                Today, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X