Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avid bow hunter and stuck a very nice buck last year on video, but just wasn't the best shot placement. After many hours of trac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avid bow hunter and stuck a very nice buck last year on video, but just wasn't the best shot placement. After many hours of trac

Avid bow hunter and stuck a very nice buck last year on video, but just wasn't the best shot placement. After many hours of tracking/searching the brute wasn't found. Until the following year on a adjacent farm. Amazingly the rack & skull still in perfect condition. Legally got a "Found"/disposal permit for my trophy but I often wonder if it would even be possible to enter this low 150 class trophy of mine into P&Y; records? I know its somewhat of a silly question and I thinking there is no chance since animal was not located until the following season, but I have video proof of shot. Still a very happy camper to have the rack of my best buck yet with stick and string. Happy Hunting...

I am pretty sure that B&C recognizes all racks bit I don't know about P&Y.

Comment

check out P&Y web page... it says "* There is no time limit to when an animal can be measured and submitted for entry into the Records Program." Just have to meet their requirements.

Comment

I think the main thing that they would be concerned about is that the deer could have died from other causes (ex coyotes because of the injury, car, or rough winter) in that time frame. They would probably let you submit it as a found rack, but not hunter killed.

Comment

Pope and Young would not let you enter it. Reason being, there’s no proof that your buck died from your arrow. Yes, you have a video of your arrow hitting that deer, but the buck could have survived your archery wound. A month later a gun hunter could have wounded the buck, a vehicle could have hit him, a disease could have killed him, pet dogs running loose could ham string him, another bigger buck in a fight could kill him or coyotes could have put him down for the count.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be "very happy" about a fine deer like that dying a miserable death because of my screw-up. It would make me SICK to have that hanging around my house as a reminder of what the poor bugger went through. Gad, where is this stupid SHAMELESS antler-mania crap taking this sport!? When I was a young man no one in their right mind would even admit to picking up that rack, let alone bragging about it publicly and trying to get it measured. Oh, and you even have a VIDEO as a keepsake of this travesty! Wow. That'll be something exciting to show your grandkids someday! A great story in that one.

Comment

Honker: a bit dramatic on your part. We have all wounded and lost a deer or two, I'd have been happy to have eventually found it as well. I'm sure he wasn't happy he wounded and lost it.

Comment

10jolsen, I agree with O.H.! Like the saying goes, "sometimes it better to keep your skeletons inside the closet".

Comment

10jolsen: You would have been "happy" to have found "it"? And what exactly was "it"? A stinking pile of bones with an arrow in it. Yeah, that would fill the freezer nicely! Oh, right ... happy about ... finding the HORNS. That's what "it" is all about. Your comments only further confirm my lament about where hunting is going these days. And no, I'm not overemphasizing one bit. I would not have been at all "happy" to find that buck's bones if I'd have boffed the shot that led to his suffering wasted death. It almost certainly would have made me quite ill to my stomach. No, I have never lost a deer or an elk or a moose (almost lost one elk but someone else nailed him). Just lucky I guess. However, in spite of my best efforts, over the years the dogs and I have lost several geese only to find them later all torn up by skunks, etc. Brings a tear to my eye every damned time. No kidding! And it wouldn't make any difference if they were wearing forty pounds of antlers either.

If I brought home a rack from an animal that I'd wasted, my dad would have thrown the horns out the door. Right after he threw me through it! "Happy" ... indeed! This whole thread makes me wanna barf!

Comment

I'm with OH. Where do you get the pride. You wounded a fine animal and it died a bad death. And yes I lost a deer once and didn'y find it for a couple days. Was I proud? Hell no. You made a crappy shot and the deer got away. Face it and learn something from it. Number one - get rid of the camera.

Comment

You cannot guarantee you killed that animal, you don't deserve to enter it into any book.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad