Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do or have you done to get a non-related boy or girl their Hunter Education Course and help them get started in hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do or have you done to get a non-related boy or girl their Hunter Education Course and help them get started in hunt

What do you do or have you done to get a non-related boy or girl their Hunter Education Course and help them get started in hunting and or shooting? Fishing also, although that is easier.

I've just signed them up(with parents okay of course) and taken them. Afterwards, take them target shooting, and look for youth hunts, many states, communities, hunt clubs, etc. have them and many are under-utilized. Waterfowl clubs, Pheasants forever, State conservation depts. sponsor these things, and while they can take a lot of time, they're really worth it and loads of fun. It will take a bit of leg work, but you can find lots of paths to follow. In New York State, the conservation officers sponsor youth duck, pheasant and turkey hunts, with game wardens volunteering their own time for these events. Good Luck.

Comment

Here in Maine you do not need a H.S. Course until your 16, at that point you can get your drivers license also, so finding them the course, signing them up, and encouraging them to go take it is pretty easy duty. If they need a ride, give them that too. Hopefully you're giving hunting a forever home on their list of hobbies. That's worth alot more than a child may know at the time.

Comment

I am taking a girl I went to school with on her first turkey hunt this year. (blind leading the blind) She is a full on California girl but wants to try hunting. She rallied through Hunter Safety and we are going to get her some trigger time in the next couple mos before the season. Should be fun.

Comment

In most states you are required to have classroom instruction and a field day. OutdoorRoadmap.com now has online hunter education available at the cheapest price on the web. It saves you from spending time in a classroom for the whole weekend. Check if it is available in your state www.OutdoorRoadmap.com

Comment

Our local PF chapter sponsors a pheasant hunt every year. Kids from 9 -16 can get a safty and habitat seminar, shoot 25 rounds of sporting clays and finish with a hunt of 2 pheasants each. They are required to have hunter safty and a licence but are allowed a one time temporary permit without. We can handle fifty kids in a one day event and it is always full.

Comment

Yes I have, and it was a wonderful feeling.

Comment

I am constantly recruiting people for my Hunter Education classes. This weekend I will be teaching class and it will be almost 200 Hunter Education classes I have taught since 1971. I still enjoy teaching the classes and they are more important now than ever before. There are so many more activities that young people can get involved in these days and it is a chore to get them involved in hunting. Places to hunt are becoming harder to find and time is also an issue. Of course we know we have the one parent household to deal with which is a real barrier to overcome. Everyone in WV needs the Hunter Education course bdefore they can buy a hunting license and they ned to buy a huning license at age 15. The DNR has started Youth hunting days the last several years which has helped out getting young people involved.

Comment

online hunter ed courses

Comment

Along these lines, the club i belong to had a 'Women Only' day to familiarize them with firearms. Handguns, rifles, shotguns and i think they even had some sub-guns there. They shot all ranges and shot things like bowling pins and silhouette. The club expected 25 and 100 turned out. They also want to do something like that again this year.

Comment

jhjimbo, I've also found many landowners welcome small game hunters when you have a kid in tow, which for me, is pretty much all the time now. By small game, I'm talking squirrels. I've been welcomed for that, while a deer hunting request would have got me a firm no. To me, small game is more fun and much less stressful for the youngster (me too). It's a good way to show the importance of proper landowner/hunter relationships.

Comment

A friend just bought a neat smith & wesson 38spl complete with laser sight. I will be taking her to the club for some 'class' instruction on the safe handeling of the gun then off to the range for some live fire. She will be getting her CCL soon after this training.

Comment

Finished up my Hunter Ed class this evening. Had 33 students ranging from 10 years old to 64 years old. Had several adult females just starting to hunt which I think is great. It is amazing how eager the kids are to learn about hunting. I hope I can teach these classes for a long time to come. I had 3 Natural Resource Police Officers that came in and helped out with the class too. I taught with the guys when I was still on the force. It is always good to have them to help with the class. The students always have alot of questions about the laws and it is always good to have them there to explain the laws. Since it has been 7 years since I retired they have changed alot of laws in that period and I don't want to give the students wrong information. Young people are eager to learn and we just have to teach them and teach them the proper and ethical way.

Comment

I forgot to mention it was also good and I was proud to have my 14 year old granddaughter in the class also. She is quite a hunter and killed her first deer last deer on her Dad's property. In WV a young person can hunt on their parents property without a license at any age. My son-in-law made her drag the deer across the field and recorded it on his phone and made her assist in the gutting process. When I asked her about the gutting, all she would say was YUK!.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                              by jhjimbo
                              So sorry for your loss....
                              Today, 10:40 AM
                            • More Bad News....
                              by WA Mtnhunter
                              My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                              07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                            • Reply to More Bad News....
                              by Amflyer
                              Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                              Today, 10:26 AM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                              Today, 09:38 AM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X