Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you pay to hunt(lease) in the U.S.? If so, roughly what kind of money do you spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you pay to hunt(lease) in the U.S.? If so, roughly what kind of money do you spend?

Do you pay to hunt(lease) in the U.S.? If so, roughly what kind of money do you spend?

I hope that it never comes to that.

Comment

Deer leases are Big in Texas. They vary in price depending on the size of the land and the number of hunters. The bad thing is it makes it hard to find public hunting land.

Comment

i am curious about leases myself, mainly because i don't really understand how they work. I'm usually a public land kind of a hunter.

Comment

I agree with jolsen. But unfortunatly it has specally areas close to a city.

Comment

*especially

Comment

jimbo

Don't know where you are, but "leases" in my area (southern Ok, northern Tx) run anywhere from $6/ac up to $15/ac. Alot depends on location and size.
              Most farmers in my area are reluctant to "lease" unless for ag purposes.
              Had one landowner tell me, verbatim, "The only thing I hate worse than deer, is deer hunters!" Needless to say, I don't "lease" from him. Sadly, it's a "primo" location with lots of big deer. The only "hunter" on the place is his step daughters ex husband who hunts the place (800 acres) free gratis! You figure it out! I'm staying off the place! Too "hinky" for me!

Comment

Simple really. What your money "buys" you is basically "trespass rights"to a specific property.
                There are three types of leases.
                1. Ag lease. (planting crops)
                2. Pasture. (grazing rights)
                3. Hunting.
                When inquiring about a lease, there are several questions to ask. Here's just a few.
                Are the hunting rights "exclusive"? Which means you won't find a friend or relative in "your" stand! That's normally my "first" question.
                Lease time. Just for deer season or Jan 1 to Dec 31?
                Is there water? Can I fish it?
                All my leases have been "handshake" agreements without a bunch of papers, but these days, maybe not such a good idea.
                Last but not least. You must "insist" on "renewal" rights. The landowner "must" contact you before leasing same property to others, even if the price is going up,.
                Another good idea is setting payment date.
                I like Feb/Mar. If it falls through, I've got time to find something else. Be careful "who" you select "lease buddies"! I've seen some REAL doozies I won't be caught in the woods with again!

Comment

The Hunting Lease We have cost each member $1,250 Year for "One" Hunter and His or Her Family on site, We have some 35+/- Hunters on 6,348 A/c to hunt-on, all stand site with food plots are by Lottery in April when you are paid-up in full, all good leases have B/Laws and work party's 3 week-ends a year, this year we will have power to a common board and well-water..this is for all the campers,cook shack,Hot Shower and Camp-lights. Next Year the Cost will go-up $150.00 Per Member. We lock-in a 3Year Lease. Hope this helps you out on what a lease is all about.

Comment

There are 10 of us that hunt at our camp. Mostly family and I'm not family just a good friend of the family. Each person pays the landowner $200.00 a year to help with propane at the cabin and property taxes and insurance. At other times during the year we chip in for gravel on the road etc. It isn't exactly a lease we just pay to help with expenses on the cabin and property.

Comment

I own 100 acres. It has 45 acres of fields in corn with the remainder in beaver pond and woods and tag alders. With a house, two pole barns of 7500sq ft total and a kennel and other outbuildings my taxes are about $5800. Deer, turkey, bass to 4+lbs, ducks, and tons of geese. Its in NY thogh which is why Its for sale. I tossed this in for you to compare owning to leasing.

Comment

I lease 120 acres in north east Maryland $3000

Comment

FirstBubba
                          I used to live in Wichita Falls and my GF was in Weatherford. Hunted a little in texas on friends land.
                          No hunting in Ok but i lived in Nebraska and hunted canada geese on game preserves.

Comment

I pay ranchers to hunt in Wyoming and Texas. The price varies. The hunting has always been good so it is worth it

Comment

We lease through the Oklahoma CLO - its land that actually belongs to the schools. Most have oil wells on them that lease out separately. Ours is 160 ac M/L and runs 1300 a year which we split 4 ways. Dealing with the CLO you get a 5 year lease then it goes back out to auction. I like this lease because it's doing some good for the schools, and it's close to home (about 1 hr drive). Basically we can do whatever we wish as long as it does no damage - think clear cutting and the like - food plots, stands, etc. are all ok. Point is, it's ours and we know who has the right to be out there. We've only had one problem with trespassers, got them on trail cameras and their truck tag. One call and an e-mail with the pictures to the local sheriff stopped that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad