Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We still have deer breeding. We are getting pictures of this the past couple weeks what are your thoughts about this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We still have deer breeding. We are getting pictures of this the past couple weeks what are your thoughts about this.

We still have deer breeding. We are getting pictures of this the past couple weeks what are your thoughts about this.

Why, I think it's an absolute scandal---those deer having unprotected sex in the outdoors where anybody can take pictures of them. Actually, I believe that the deer down here in AL breed into March---I've seen spotted fawns in December. If a doe doesn't get bred, she'll come in season at least one more time.

Comment

Good one country road, thanks for the chuckle!

Comment

Depends on where you live. In the south, it's not uncommon.

Comment

Lucky buck!

Comment

I think it is great... that is how we get baby deer to replentish the herd.

Comment

The reason the rut is so intense for deer is that the does go into estrous in a short time period so that the gestational period is similar, and the does drop fawns around the same time in the spring. This allows for higher survival of the most fawns, as predators key into the small more helpless fawns at this time and essentially cannot kill as many because they're "full". The deer can spread out to make the distance a factor for predators along with the fact that a deer's normal brood is two fawns the more dominant or healthier one (basically the one that learns to run faster) lives where the weaker die.. Providing food during these pivotal times (along with many other) to promote a high fawn survival and health can be very effective. Also on a note of a more personal vendetta, a spike weather it be 2 or one will not stay spike forever this is a myth it has to do with food! so for all you gene junkies out there spend you time on more proactive food sources and less time pretending to have effect on your herds gene's.
              I think deer breeding right now have a lower chance of successfully keeping fawns through there first year but other factors can exist (such as heat,and available food for predators) that can help fawn survival, once again like good food sources for the mother and fawns at pivotal growth periods

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad