Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are some other good mouth calls for predators besides a rabbit? ive hear alot about rabbit calls not working as good in cer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are some other good mouth calls for predators besides a rabbit? ive hear alot about rabbit calls not working as good in cer

what are some other good mouth calls for predators besides a rabbit? ive hear alot about rabbit calls not working as good in certan areas because the coyotes have been educated by hunters that missed them or got busted.

I had another buddy that called a coyote in the other night and killed it with a light and he used a jackrabbit call. There has never been a jackrabbit in the mountains of WV so I think that the coyote must have been confused. He has called in about 5 or 6 over the last 5 years.

Comment

I have seen a mouse squeak call. On many squirrel calls there is the normal chatter and baby squirrel distress whistle that I think would work with coyotes.

Comment

fawn distress, bird in distress, hurt/trapped puppy.

Comment

fox in distress works wonders.

Comment

Learn to use a howler. It can be tricky, but you just need to practice.

Comment

The howler works well. They should be looking for mates right now and setting up their territory. Use a challenge howl. It has worked well for me in the past.

Comment

Although the other calls are useful, I wouldn't give up on the rabbit call. That is what they generally have for dinner every night and that sound is the dinner bell to them. They may be cautious on approach after busting a clumbsy hunter but they still come to the dinner bell. Starvation is a great motivator. I've had the same opinion as you on occassion only to discover more coyotes than than ever coming to the rabbit call the next day. The mouse squeak is good but very short range because it is a low volume call. They might have trouble hearing it at 50 yards upwind if there is a little wind blowing. Good luck and keep trying... you will succeed if there are coyotes where you are hunting.

Comment

I forgot to mention, when you blow that rabbit call, make it sound scary miserable and pathetic. You have to sound like a bunny that is getting his leg ripped off all the while you call. Don't give up on it. Lately, we've had coyotes coming in after 15 or 20 minutes of calling. They usually come quickly but this time of year, it is best to really work on it if you think coyotes are in the area. That is why an electronic call is so nice this time of year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad