Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you use a 22.lr for turkeys in MI? i was in the woods on the last day of season plinking with my 22. when i heard a gobble a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you use a 22.lr for turkeys in MI? i was in the woods on the last day of season plinking with my 22. when i heard a gobble a

can you use a 22.lr for turkeys in MI? i was in the woods on the last day of season plinking with my 22. when i heard a gobble and a tom with a dubble beard that was prolly a five and ten inch beard stepped onto the trail not thirty yards away could i have shot it? i didn't want to do any thing illegal so i didn't shoot p.s it was on privite land where i do not turkey hunt and no one else does ethier

Not sure about the rules there. Where i hunt you cannot use a rifle for spring gobblers. Besides that you probably would need to secure permission to turkey hunt there.

Comment

i dont think it is legal in any state, to hunt turkey with any kind or rifle.

Comment

You did well to hold your fire. I don't know what the regulations are in MI, but I agree with kolbster; I haven't lived in a state that permitted hunting turkeys with a rifle. Do you currently own a shotgun? If not (and turkeys are a high personal priority), you may want to make that your next purchase.

Comment

There are a few western states that allow rifles for turkey hunting. Not sure which ones but the thrill of the game is calling your bird into shotgun range. You did the right thing. Rifles are probably illegal in MI. Do you have a license to hunt turkeys? you might have broken several laws if you had shot that bird.

Comment

Del's right, some western states do allow rifles for turkey. I know a guy(N.W.T.F/National Wild Turkey Fed.)
            That uses a .223 for this, but you did well for holding your fire. You should look into getting premission for that property and get ready for the fall
            hunt/spring hunt.
            Good luck and good hunting !

Comment

Pennsylvania allows rifles in the fall turkey season(either sex). I will add it's a bit scary to be in the woods wearing full camo, seeing guys hunting turkeys with their deer rifles. I usually stay home.

Comment

You absolutely can NOT use a .22 to hunt Turkeys in Michigan (although it would make things much easier). You also have to have a license for the specific area you are in. The tags are available in the Spring (Toms only) and in the fall (either sex). The seasons are rather short, so you better check the regulations over well.

Comment

i could turkey hunt there if i wanted to but i don't i also had my tag for a gobbler in my pocket

Comment

Don't know about the legality issues here but I do know that I would be very hesitant to try a gobbler with a .22 LR. .22 Hornet, .222, .223 are far superior.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad