Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would your ideal vehicle be to get you big game hunting and bring you back? AWD, 4x4truck, or maybe a horse? Do you use A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would your ideal vehicle be to get you big game hunting and bring you back? AWD, 4x4truck, or maybe a horse? Do you use A

What would your ideal vehicle be to get you big game hunting and bring you back? AWD, 4x4truck, or maybe a horse? Do you use ATV's?

I always wanted a Scout or an old Suburban with the barn door. Or an old Wagoneer. But I'd settled for one of those cushy new F250's.

Comment

I a Ford F150 and a Suzuki Eiger 4-wheeler. For where I hunt they get the job done for me.

Comment

My 99 Jimmy is the ideal rig. I just can't imagine anything working better. With the seats laid down in the back there's plenty of cargo space for my three dogs, toolbox, and even myself to boot if I need to take a nap. I put too garment rods in the headliner hooks and sling the guns or fishing rods up there out of the way My brother gave me a full length Tule cartop carrier which holds almost all my hunting stuff for a six week trip to Montana. I even had room in it to bring back a 7.5 hp Merc outboard my brother gave me in 2011 (though lifting it out of there when I got home was challenging!) A medium-sized cooler also fits nicely up there with room for nine roosters and some space left over. No need for ice as I'm usually coming back in December and because the birds are frozen and cooler kept up top in the elements nothing thaws out. The Jimmy has great clearance and actually has a frame under it as opposed to unit body Jeep Cherokees. I find myself stumbling over that unit body hump below the door trying to climb in and out of Jeeps. Also, the Jimmy has tailgate in the back which is IDEAL for loading a deer on top in luggage racks. Pop the tailgate down, close the back window, step up on the tailgate and pull the deer on top. I have loaded one up there by myself although I'll admit it's dang near impossible and a good way for someone to get hurt so I'll not give details. Jeep has the pull up tailgate/window like a Chev minivan. No tailgate to stand on so loading deer on the top of them is a REAL pain. The factory clearance with Jimmy is good (better than Subaru). Visibility out of it is also great. I replaced the standard seats in mine with some multi-adjustable electric ones from a junkyard and they make 25 hour trip to Montana much easier on me! Unfortunately, GM started making these outfits larger a few years back for whatever reason I simply cannot fathom! Certainly doesn't make sense in this era of climbing gas prices. Also, the smaller Jimmy is great to maneuver around town and parking lots (as opposed to some big, gas guzzling over-extended four-door F-250!). I'm 6'1" and the Jimmy has more than enough legroom for me (though just barely with the back seats down for full cargo area). Some days I think God must have designed that rig just for me. A perfect fit!

I don't own an ATV. I walk. And I have been known to carry whole deer on my back for miles (usually but not always downhill). Thought about trying that again this past fall just to see if I could still do it. Anyway, keeping on my feet has kept me in pretty good shape. I have been known to borrow an ATV or snow machine to pull out moose. As most of you know, I did once have horses and took out a few elk with them. I never used them for actual hunting though. They got me in to my camp and up to where I wanted to go hunting each day or they packed out the meat. Wait, I forgot I once road my pack mare in to do some duck hunting at a place where the 4x4 trucks had torn up the road to the point of being impassible. I remember she did not care much for having feathers shoved in the saddle bag or smoldering shotgun back in the scabbard. Yeah, we were dancing the swing together out in that field for about five minutes before I could get all loaded up. I'm sure I didn't look very cowboyish! Wow, I had forgotten all about that. I'd love to get horses again but this country is just no good for them. Too rocky/swampy/buggy.

Comment

I am able to do 3 point turns on narrow logging roads with my 98 offroad 4x4 F150 173k miles, if the truck was longer it would be tough to turn around, if it was newer I wouldn't want to scratch it so it is a good tool. I have loaded the backend with 3300 lbs with an extra 20 lbs in the tires and commute with it averaging 14 in town and 16.8 highway. The cost to keep it up is very low, and with an amsoil air filter the 5.4 triton can pull out in traffic with ease. Cheers, it doesn't really matter how you get there as long as you get there.

Comment

I am able to do 3 point turns on narrow logging roads with my 98 offroad 4x4 F150 173k miles, if the truck was longer it would be tough to turn around, if it was newer I wouldn't want to scratch it so it is a good tool. I have loaded the backend with 3300 lbs with an extra 20 lbs in the tires and commute with it averaging 14 in town and 16.8 highway. The cost to keep it up is very low, and with an amsoil air filter the 5.4 triton can pull out in traffic with ease. Cheers, it doesn't really matter how you get there as long as you get there.

Comment

I like my F150 for where I need to go, I usually hoof it our on foot from there. sometimes use horses to get to remote locations, but then walk from there. I do have an ATV and I love it, but it jumps more game than its worth from a hunting aspect. They are good for getting game out as it will save your back ion the long run. OHH I once drug a calf elk out of the mountains by Bozeman, 3 miles, I was glad it was only a calf when I finally reached my 4 wheeler. Thankfully it was downhill, still a lot of work, and very rewarding when I got to where I needed to be.

Comment

I like smaller SUV's. With a hitch rack and roof rack I can tote my canoe and any large game harvested. Currently I'm using a 2003 Xterra 4x4.
                Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Tneal, I also pulled a calf out a couple of miles once. Mostly downhill but the last three hundred yards were tough. Thank gawd there was snow on the ground. It's in my photo collection. Also you'll see one a lot bigger than a calf that I pulled down the mountain about 1.25 miles and into back of stock truck. That bugger was HUGE but had feet the size of a yearling spike. Very weird. People don't believe it can be done but if the animal is kept moving and not allowed to stiffen up, you can make the weight work for you. Also, you'll note his jaw is broken. That's from stuffing his nose into the ground and pulling on his antlers like a lever to get him over windfalls. Enjoy.

Comment

International Scout. I owned 3 and except for the rust they were perfect for hunting. I like the smaller jeep cherokees almost as much.

Comment

I use a 4-wheeler a lot to get into the woods then usually hike a ways from it.
                      I drive a Ford Ranger these days which pretty much does the trick but I do miss my old Cherokee sport. That thing was unstopable.

Comment

I have a Chevy half-ton crew cab and it hauls lots of stuff but as many have pointed out does not do well in tight spots. Fortunately (or unfortunately) most of my hunting in MN is road accessible. I would love an old Bronco, LandCruiser or Scout.
                        You boys dragging elk around in the mountains are hard core. We used to cut them up on site and pack them out. We usually had four people though. Still always took at least two trips.

Comment

Legs and my T100

Comment

Chuckles, the object initially was to pull the carcass downhill as close to the vehicle as possible and then cut it up for the horses. In both cases it worked out that I was able to get the elk all the way to where I could get the vehicle in and load them up whole. Very steep country. Also both were shot on a mountain that was pretty much a flat face jumping up out of the valley. Had there been any creeks or gullies, that would have been the end of dragging. Gotta keep them out of those spots. Too hard to get the horses down in there.

Comment

OHH that makes more sense. I was trying to imagine doing it in the country I hunted around Aspen and there was no way you would get a three mile drag. Too broken up.
                              The first year I hunted my mentor dropped me off at the head of a canyon with the admonition, " Stay to the left, if you shoot one down in there you better take a knife and fork with you."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad