Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should i plant for a spring and summer food plot here in NC that would provide the best overall nutrition for deer? and wha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should i plant for a spring and summer food plot here in NC that would provide the best overall nutrition for deer? and wha

what should i plant for a spring and summer food plot here in NC that would provide the best overall nutrition for deer? and what food plot seeds do you recommend overall for deer?

Clover and Alfalfa.

Comment

Clover & chicory mix...whitetail institute makes both and I highly recommend them. However, if you are just establishing the plot this year, then spend the spring and summer prepping the soil (soil test, lime, fertilizer) and plant it in the late summer/early fall for next year. If you try to cut corners, you'll ultimately end up spending more money than you need to and you probably won't get the results you desire.

Before you plant anything, I highly recommend you read or at least purchase the book "Quality Food Plots" by Kent Kammermeyer. It's a great book and it will be your food plotting bible. Good luck!

Comment

You could try cow peas (iron and clay peas). I've had real good success with them---deer love 'em---but you have to have at least 1.5 acres or the deer will wipe them out early and they won't recover.

Comment

We planted "Whitetail Premium Food Plot Seed" in early August. We planted several small food plots within our larger food plots. We separated the small food plots with tall grasses. This ended up being a awesome thing to do. We had our best food plot year ever. Not only did the food plots do well but the deer came out earlier and bedded in the tall grasses. We were able to house several does in the grasses all day long during the rut. We purchased the seed from "The Big Red Neck Trading Post". It worked well for us last year and we are going to do it again this year. Give it a try even if it is just one food plot, I believe you really like the results. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
            by crm3006
            Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
            Today, 05:22 PM
          • Reply to Rest Easy
            by FirstBubba
            "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
            Today, 04:39 PM
          • Rest Easy
            by jhjimbo
            Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
            Yesterday, 08:55 PM
          • Reply to Rest Easy
            by 99explorer
            Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
            Today, 03:02 PM
          • Reply to Rest Easy
            by jhjimbo
            They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
            Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X