Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I wasn't clear enough with my earlier question about clearing a spot for a food plot. I am NOT clearing their bedding area or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I wasn't clear enough with my earlier question about clearing a spot for a food plot. I am NOT clearing their bedding area or

Ok I wasn't clear enough with my earlier question about clearing a spot for a food plot. I am NOT clearing their bedding area or around it. It's a spot in the middle of some pine woods. It's a location where I think it will do good. There is two diffrent places I could do. One of them is just in the middle of the woods in an opening with small trees and underbrush. How do I clear this and what will do good here. I want to do soybeans but I'm new to this so any advice would be helpful. -thanks, andrew

A Gas powerade Weed/Wacker and a Hand Rake will work as for Soybeans the deer will eat them before they grow-up
    JMO~~ put up a Corn pole Feeder or two they hold 35# of corn each...The deer will make a path to your feeders.
    then you can have two or more Tree Stands Depending on the wind that day...Play the wind in you favor!!

Comment

Here are some considerations based on my experiences.
      Pine woods are likely to have pretty acidic soils so many crop plants will require soil amendments to do well. Check this out before you plant anything and you may save money on fert./ lime etc.
      I like to find out what native plants animals use and match my selection to the soil characteristics. This usually results in healthier plants with less maintenance and preparation expense. Check with a local forester and/or biologist and select plants based on their recommendation.
      I usually mimimize commercial seed crops but I do use them mixed in with native shrubs and browse plants. You get a more natural looking food plot that requires less prep and less maintenance but still holds deer or at least stops them while they pass through. Good luck!

Comment

Before you touch anything on the ground, create an account on www.biggamelogic.com, create a camp, make your map, and then invite me into your camp (I'm bioguy there too). It's difficult to give recommendations without seeing what you have to work with and what you have in mind.

When I get a chance I'll review your map and your proposed food plot sites and give recommendations based on your specific situation.

Comment

Chuckles has a good handle on the soil type, and if you can't get a vehicle in there to haul the lime and fertilizer, you're going to have to do more toting and hauling than most folks would take money to do. You're going to need a tractor and implements (or at least a 4-wheeler and equipment) to till the soil and broadcast fertilizer and seed. Iron and clay peas are easier to raise for deer than soy beans (and cheaper), and if you're looking for a fall/winter crop, it's hard to beat Dixie Crimson clover for acidic, sandy soil---mix in oats and wheat and you have a good plot. That throw and grow stuff isn't much good, mostly rye grasses that deer will only eat after they've eaten all the pine straw on the ground.

Comment

As to the clearing, I've already said my piece about the DR Mower if you can't get heavy equipment to do the job. It will mow its own trail to the site. Otherwise you're stuck with chain saw, axe, machete, brush hook and rake. Take a big water jug, too. For yourself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad