Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I handle a 30-06? I am 14 and weigh 135. I am 5'5". I can handle a 3" slug through a 12 gauge no problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot a Moose when I was 16 With a .338 win mag, and I've never not once claimed to be tough. It's a fine caliber, and you'll do just fine behind it.

Comment

If you do find that you are uncomfortable with the recoil, there is a 125-grain .30-06 "Managed-Recoil" loading available from Remington.
      It has 50% of the normal recoil, but retains 35% more energy than the .30-30.
      Good luck.

Comment

if you can handle a 3" 12 ga slug you can handle a .375 H&H .. Abiout the same recoil per foot pounds of energy felt. The little 20 ga mag is equal to the .300 win mag. It's more in the head then it is in reality. Like the .44mag handgun.Everybody, some excluded parties,lol.. Think it is more then a handful.My 10 yr old grandson shoots it pretty well what does that say about preceaved recoil?

Comment

You should have no difficulty with the .30-'06 if you handle the 12 gauge comfortably, but be aware there are other cartridge choices that may suit your requirements.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad