Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I handle a 30-06? I am 14 and weigh 135. I am 5'5". I can handle a 3" slug through a 12 gauge no problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I handle a 30-06? I am 14 and weigh 135. I am 5'5". I can handle a 3" slug through a 12 gauge no problem.

Could I handle a 30-06? I am 14 and weigh 135. I am 5'5". I can handle a 3" slug through a 12 gauge no problem.

If you can handle a 12 gauge, you'll have no problem with a .30-06. Depending on what you're hunting, you may not even need that heavy a rifle---I've been killing deer with a 7mm-08 with amazing regularity, and the .308 packs plenty of punch without as much recoil as the '06. Just a couple of examples.

Comment

Well I want one rifle that I can go for everything with, black bear, boar, deer, etc.

Comment

You should be able to just fine

Comment

You're set. I've been shooting a .270 since I weighed 100 lbs. I weigh just over 120 now and I haven't had a problem with any firearm I've shot to date.

Comment

Yes. I am 16 I am 5'11 and weigh 115 and I shoot a 30-06. It doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

You should have no problem with recoil, but as far as caliber choice, (I know I'll take some heat for this) I think you can't go wrong with a .308 winchester. You'll be able to hit ground you just mentioned just fine, and you'll have a more accurate, more versatile, firearm. Especially if you get into reloading, you'll have a wider range of options. The .308 would be a perfect choice for a first rifle for that reason. The 30'06 would do you just fine, but for my money, I'd get a .308 win. I've owned both in multiple rifles and that's just my preference....Just my two cents. Good luck!

Comment

If its needs killing the 7mm/08 will do the job with less recoil from Black Bear to Hogs its a .270 in short pants, Check the Ballistics on line. and Check out the Remington Mod/7..light and fast pointing rifle.

Comment

The 7mm/08 has the same case size as the .308 winchester-its just necked down for a 7mm bullet. It makes it shoot a lot flatter at higher speeds. Great caliber, but not as common on the shelves as you may hope. That's the only reason I didn't recommend it. I have a Sako 85 in 7mm/08, it's my best friend. We go everywhere together, Haha!

Comment

Panfry101, I Love my Rem M/7~7mm/08 and never had a Problem finding Ammo in the State of Fla. Its one of the best sellers next to the 243Win in this state.

NOTE..Never Go Hunting With your AMMO.

Comment

shoot one and find out.

Comment

Most 30-06 loads have lighter recoil than the 3 inch 12 gauge slug. There are many cartridges to choose from for your intended game though and you sure don't need that much power for the game you mentioned.

For hunting applications (rather than target shooting), I recommend the 30-06 over the .308. You can get reduced loads with the same performance as the .308 but you can also shoot larger bullets or higher velocities when you need to. The accuracy difference will only be noticable in world cup match competition and will be mearsured by a few thousands of an inch at 1000 yards.

I have shot a 25-06 most of my life and prefer that because it shoots little varmints with 75g bullets out of the same case as the 30-06. It is plenty of power for your intended game and has very light recoil making it pleasant to shoot hundreds of rounds at a time on varmints or targets to improve your long range accuracy. The 7mm/08 is another top notch rifle for your intended use. You won't be able to blame your rifle for an empty freezer with any of these highly effective cartridges.

Comment

You can certainly handle a 30-06, if you shoot 12 ga. slugs with no problem, and it's a great choice for a "do-all" rifle. Every company makes one, and you can find ammo for it everywhere.

Comment

Yes you can handle it , 30-06 really does not recoil that bad,I shoot a ruger American in 30-06 and the recoil is not that bad.

Comment

You'll be fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad