Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of tree will attract deer the best? fig? apple? anything else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of tree will attract deer the best? fig? apple? anything else?

what kind of tree will attract deer the best? fig? apple? anything else?

Oak trees would be the best and a sawtooth oak will produce acorns in 12 years with good growing conditions. I'm assuming you're thinking about trees in Alabama. The Chinese chesnut is another mast tree that doesn't take too long to mature. Persimmon produces good soft mast if the possums will let the fruit hit the ground. Never heard of figs placing high in a deer's diet, and apples don't do too well in the AL heat---the old time sand pear produces well and deer will eat them, as will feral hogs which will eat anything.

Comment

Ditto~country road +1
      What State are you in???
      here in Fla. Persimmom Trees and Swamp Oak do well here.

Comment

I'm in alabama

Comment

Persimmon Trees have been my golden ticket for many years now. I have taken a 168, a couple 150's and 140's from two persimmon trees out in the middle of our field by themselves. They are sneaky and we see them go out to them in the middle of the day when most are at work so I take a couple of vacation days when the persimmons start falling.

Comment

I agree with the oaks and persimmons. We've planted sawtooths that have done pretty well. They drop their acorns early, which is good for AL bowhunting. If you plant apples try a Yates Apple tree. They hold their fruit much later into the winter. The hardest thing is getting them grown. Bucks rubbing in the fall can ruin a whole orchard if you don't use some kind of protective barrier.

Comment

Another vote in favor of the oak tree.

Comment

If you're looking for fruit trees, this is the place to contact: www.wildlifegrowers.com/index.html

This guy knows his trees!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad