Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had any experience in Cryo freezing the barrel of a gun? Good, bad, does not work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had any experience in Cryo freezing the barrel of a gun? Good, bad, does not work.

Has anyone had any experience in Cryo freezing the barrel of a gun? Good, bad, does not work.

I don't have any experience with cryo treated barrels, but I have read differing opinions of them. Some say it increases accuracy, others say it is basically worthless.

Comment

I have had a few barrels cyro'd. The problem with this is that you have to start with a good barrel to begin with. A barrel that doesn't group well will not become an instant benchrest rifle. It has to start from the begining. Hammer forged stainless barrel, no need for cryo treatment as it would have very little if any benefits in the end result. A good shooting match grade barrel may benefit slightly in the long run, but again only slightly. Start with a good barrel, season it properly and stay away from gimics like firelapping. a good barrel doesn't need anything but a good shooter with a well assembled firearm

Comment

I have not heard of a case where it hurt but have heard of many where it did not help. I would do it if I thought it made a difference however I don't. I feel that an air-gauged perfect barrel with a perfect chamber alignment with the right case design does much more than cryo treatment. You've got to get that right first anyway and once you do it will shoot them through the same hole... cryo treatment has a tough time beating that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad