Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What state has better overall big game hunting, Wyoming or Montana? I would also like to know which one has better resident tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What state has better overall big game hunting, Wyoming or Montana? I would also like to know which one has better resident tag

What state has better overall big game hunting, Wyoming or Montana? I would also like to know which one has better resident tag system?

As a Wyoming resident that is having trouble drawing tags in my own state I would recommend that all out of state hunters give Montana a try. What my state loses in revenue I hope to gain in meat in my freezer.

Comment

Hey Dave, back when I was stationed in New Mexico everyday I get the same ol'question from nonresident hunters from Texas. Can a nonresident shoot does on there tag? O'did I want to say yes and include saying a 3 doe limit. NO LIE GI!

Comment

Hunted both states hard to say tags are easier in Montana Wyoming is the greatest place I have ever hunted!People are the nicest I have ever met hunting was awesome as were the veiws. Dave I agree residents need to come first.

Comment

Montana Tags are easier to come by in Montana, however land to hunt "trophy" game is hard to come by. If you are strictly hunting meat, or not scared to do some overnight hunts where you go deep into the back country then Montana is the place to be. I live on the border between MT and WY and have had the opportunity to hunt both states, and when I got my drivers lisence I had to contemplate the same thing you are AAM, I am proud to say that after much deliberation and an article in Field and stream about the best outdoor colleges, I went with Montana.

Comment

It doesn't matter to me both places are on my "Bucket Lists" to visit whether I get to hunt or not.

Comment

I think that Wyoming offers good populations of game. While Montana offers about the same range of game available, in my opinion it is a lot easier to come by animals like pronghorn in wyoming. That said, my first elk hunt was last year in Montana and the country is definitely a place to be. For trophies the backcountry is the place to be. It is also much easier to get a tag for Montana. That said, Montana game populations are suffering because of the wolf problem. Everywhere our hunting party went and found elk sign, there was also wolf sign. We found some elk but any shot we had was over 400 yards. I eventually took several shots at a 5x5 rag-horn bull but I missed because of the difficulty of a steep uphill angle, estimated range at 500 yards and crosswind.

Comment

Better learn to shoot under all conditions before you venture back out West... Not your food plot whitetail hunting.

Comment

WAM, You missed one. You better be in the best physical condition first, before hunting those Rocky Mountains with the thin air. You could be the best shot in the world, but if your huffing and puffing you be lucky to hit the side of the barn.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                    Today, 11:12 AM
                  • More Bad News....
                    by WA Mtnhunter
                    My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                    07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                  • Reply to 16 Years
                    by rock rat
                    Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                    Today, 10:59 AM
                  • 16 Years
                    by jhjimbo
                    So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                    Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                  • Reply to More Bad News....
                    by dewman
                    Had a big long post typed half dozen times but I just won't discuss losing my dogs. Doubt I ever will. I know what you're feeling, I am sorry for your...
                    Today, 10:55 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X