Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of deer hunting should I do treestand, stalk, ect

What type of deer hunting should I do treestand, stalk, ect

If you're newer to hunting deer I would probably recommend hunting out of a ground blind if you have access to one. If not I hunt from a deer stand but I know that a lot of people stalk. Again, if you're newer and don't have access to a blind I would go with a tree stand. If you don't know what you're doing stalking could be somewhat dangerous but I guess so could hunting out of a deer stand!

Comment

Depends on the land you're hunting. Regardless of how you go about it, be aware of your scent and be sure that you use a good product to cover it up.

Comment

Start with a tree stand. You see more deer up high and its more forgiving. Or a ground blind. Stalking and still hunting are the hardest ways to hunt and require practice and experience.

Comment

Hey Gator/17, Will you be Hunting on State land or Private/Lease land! "If" State Land you must be 14/With a Hunting Lic. and with some one 18 or older with a Valid Hunting Lic.to Hunt State Land and wear 500Sq" of Blaze Orange(a Vest and Hat)....Just saying.
          Your 13Yes...Go to Wal*Mart and Pick-up The 2013-14 Florida Hunting Guide...Its FREE at the Sport Counter.

Comment

If the temperture is hot, then bow hunt a treestand over looking a water hole or an elk wallow. If the elk are bugling in the full rut, then calling elk and stalking on foot is the best way to go.

Comment

Sorry, I though the question was for elk hunting.

Comment

Hunting deer in a treestand is best. If it snows four inches or more, then you can track the big bucks.

Comment

depends on your situation.

Comment

No matter what keep the wind in your face. I hunt primarily spot and stalk. But in AZ its the main way to hunt. Good luck. Nothing like walking 3 miles in on a deer or elk watching him all day then finally stalking within range and tagging the animal. I think its a lot funner than sitting a waiting. But some are limited to that style only.

Comment

JPMNTMAN is right when he said stalking is more fun. I have stalked 3 deer this season, only got one but shot at all 3. I didn't hit the others because my bullets deflected. That is the hard part, finding a clear shot. This is only my 3 year of hunting but I still hunt and stand hunt, and sometimes a combination of the 2. I'll sit over a promising area for a while and if I hear a deer or something, then I try to cut it off.

Comment

I am in florida thanks

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad