Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If money was not an issue, what would be the ideal goose decoy spread in an open corn field hunting in layout blinds? numbers, f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If money was not an issue, what would be the ideal goose decoy spread in an open corn field hunting in layout blinds? numbers, f

If money was not an issue, what would be the ideal goose decoy spread in an open corn field hunting in layout blinds? numbers, full bodies/shells/silhouettes, size, etc.

If money were truly no object, it would be a full flock of stuffers, carefully placed and picked up by a team of servants each day.

Failing that, as many full bodies as you can afford and/or are willing to haul around. People use shells and silhouettes because they are cheaper and easier to haul than full bodies, not because they are better.

Comment

For forty years I hunted with just a dozen regular size honker shells and did fine. But a lot depends on where you're hunting and how hard the geese have been hit before they migrate in. I seem to be able to pull them in just as easily as the guys in the next field over who hunt with fancy full-body deeks and layout blinds. I hunt the fencelines with my dogs. A lot has to do with how the decoys are set rather than the numbers put out.

Comment

Thats how it used to be here in Michigan, geese are so wary nowadays that they hang just outta range circling 10 times, and leaving. I would say 50% of the geese I have killed in the past two years have been in the first 2 days of the season each year.

Comment

Like OH said a lot of factors go into it. But if your hunting late season pressured birds and your forced to traffic them and money were no issue I would be hunting over 10 dozen GHG fully flocked full bodies. Not saying thats what you need to kill geese. but you did say "if money were no issue". I hunt over 2 1/2 dozen GHG full bodies 8 hardcore full bodies and 2 1/2 dozen shells.

Comment

If money is truely no object, I know that geese will come into a 2000-3000 decoy spread a LOT easier than they will go for a dozen. If money is no object, I could even pay someone to guard them or put new decoys out as they are stolen from my setup. This is certainly not required but sure wouldn't hurt. I've used everything from half a dozen to a thousand dekes and have no doubt that the more the merrier for geese.

Comment

Not necessarily. If the spread gets too expansive, geese will likely land on the periphery which will be out of range as often as not.

I am a firm believer in high density spreads. Keep the deeks two feet or less apart and don't face them all the same direction. That old stuff about facing them into the wind is nonsense. Watch the birds in the field. The only time they are all facing the same direction is when they are nervous about something or about ready to take off. When they're actually feeding they're walking this way and that although usually moving in the same general direction. Anyway, if the spread is high density it doesn't provide much space for them to land inside the spread except in designated open spots (near the blind). Also, if you only have a dozen or two deeks, they are much more visible as a dark mass than as a bunch of spots spread out. Some guys think if they spread the deeks out it will look like the flock is larger. Doesn't work that way. I have found that geese are more wary of low density spreads.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad